Mind your P’s and Q’s – I’ve combined these two letters into a single post! ‘Q’ is an extremely rare initial for baby names, but ‘P’ isn’t exactly the most common letter, either. As we near the end of the alphabet, I’ll continue juxtaposing some of the rarest letters together in lists. Plus, the new 2017 data arrives soon; I’d rather not post 2016 numbers after that.
Here is a selection of rare ‘P’ and ‘Q’ names from 2016, according to information from the Social Security Administration.
- 100-241 named: Palmer, Promise, Patience, Persephone, Pamela, Prisha, Priya, Petra, Pepper, Precious, Pia, Pippa
- 50-99: Philomena, Prudence, Paulette, Philippa, Polina, Pauline, Primrose, Polly
- 25-49: Pandora, Passion, Pilar, Praise, Pari, Posey, Paradise, Pessy, Parnika, Phaedra, Portia, Paw, Perel, Priyanka
- 10-24: Parisa, Pranavi, Pacey, Persia, Phyllis, Page, Patrice, Penina, Prim, Peggy, Paz, Pihu, Paislyn, Purity, Padme, Patsy, Prairie, Prisca, Pola, Porsha, Pailynn, Pearla, Petrona, Pragya, Pietra, Providence, Pascale, Pax, Pema, Prakrita, Pranisha, Preslyn, Priyal, Palyn, Pessel, Poetry, Posy, Prachi, Pranika, Priyana
- 9: Paije, Parthenia, Penda, Pixie, Poet, Polette, Prapti, Prathana, Preesha
- 8: Perpetua, Pollyanna, Pooja, Prabhnoor, Prajna
- 7: Panagiota, Patty, Pelia, Pemberley, Peony, Persis, Portland, Pragathi, Pragnya, Pranathi, Pranaya, Pranshi, Pretty, Prima
- 6: Pallas, Pallavi, Parneet, Pasleigh, Penley, Pessi, Pipper, Pippi, Pragna, Preksha, Prosperity, Purvi
- 5: Padma, Paij, Palin, Palmira, Paolina, Par, Pareesa, Parizoda, Pearline, Pennylane, Peshy, Petal, Pocahontas, Poleth, Poorvi, Pranita, Praylee, Preema, Prisma, Pristine, Pritika, Pualani
- 100-172 named: Pierre, Pierson, Phineas, Pranav, Pharaoh, Perry
- 50-99: Patricio, Paris, Patton, Penn, Perseus, Paolo, Price, Pearson
- 25-49: Percy, Parth, Perrin, Pavel, Parks, Pietro, Pace, Pascal, Prescott, Pearce, Pinchas, Padraig, Parsa, Paden, Pascual, Poseidon, Phinehas
- 10-24: Panagiotis, Parrish, Pasquale, Paulino, Prayan, Peace, Pinchos, Praneel, Prosper, Parish, Porfirio, Pranay, Pratham, Prithvi, Param, Peregrine, Philemon, Peretz, Philippe, Payne, Pharrell, Philopateer, Pryor, Prem, Papa, Percival, Piero, Platon, Pratik, Pate, Peniel, Philo, Polo, Powell, Priyan, Prophet, Parthiv, Pasha, Pranish, Prentice, Prish
- 9: Park, Philopater, Pike, Pranesh, Pratyush, Prayag, Preet, Priyansh, Ptolemy
- 8: Parv, Pernell, Phong, Pj, Priam, Priest, Primo, Psalm
- 7: Paco, Parson, Patriot, Paulson, Perez, Pesach, Petros, Piers, Pilot, Portland, Prajwal, Pranshu, Premier, Pride, Princedavid
- 6: Palash, Pape, Parx, Patterson, Pavan, Phelan, Pinny, Pio, Piyush, Prabhjot, Prajit, Pranith, Prashant, Prathik, Pravin
- 5: Panth, Parnell, Partha, Peleg, Pendleton, Phanuel, Pippin, Pius, Pol, Potter, Power, Poyraz, Prabhav, Pradyun, Prasoon, Praxton, Prime, Pruitt, Psalms, Purav
- 10-197 named: Queen, Quinley, Queenie, Queena, Quetzaly, Quinnlyn, Quorra
- 5-9: Qiana, Quynh, Qadira, Qirat, Quiana, Quyen
- 25-182 named: Quintin, Quinlan, Quaid, Quran, Qasim, Quest, Quintus
- 10-24: Quill, Quan, Quillan, Qadir, Quamir, Quavion, Quintavious, Quint, Quintrell
- 6-9: Qusay, Quindarius, Qays, Quintel, Qumari, Quantavious, Quavon
- 5: Qi, Quang, Quantae, Quetzal, Quigley, Quince, Quinston
Thoughts? Favorites? Let me know!
On a personal note: ‘P’ is my second-favorite initial for baby names after ‘H.’ I especially adore Philippa, Perpetua, Percival, and Peregrine! I get a kick out of ‘Q’ names too, just because they *are* so unusual. From that letter, my favorite rarities are Queenie, Qadira, Quintus, and Quetzal.