Some of my all-time favorite names start with the letter ‘H!’ I even love modern ‘H’ names, and my name preferences are usually very ancient or traditional. To be fair, Hadley and Harper do have literary precedents…
The names below are rare ‘H’ names that were used in the U.S. in 2016, the latest year for which national baby name data has been released. They are sorted by popularity – the most common names will appear first, and the least common will be at the bottom of the list. They’re also color-coded; pink indicates that the name was mostly (≥90%) given to girls, blue to (≥90%) boys, and purple to both (>10% and <90% boys and girls).
- 150-212 girls named: Honesty, Halo, Harriet, Hillary, Hensley
- 100-149: Haddie, Hartley, Hollis, Hafsa, Honor, Haisley
- 50-99: Hawa, Haya, Hosanna, Hermione, Halima, Hanan, Harbor, Henrietta, Huda, Hala, Havana, Hiba, Hoorain, Honey
- 25-49: Haneen, Hennessy, Husna, Hilda, Hera, Heiress, Hayat, Huntley, Harini, Henny, Henna, Habiba
- 10-24: Hadiya, Hadeel, Halina, Hargun, Harvest, Havilah, Hiyab, Hasset, Honour, Heavenleigh, Harleyquinn, Harnoor, Hebe, Holiday, Haasini, Hedy, Hikari, Honora, Hanley, Henchy, Humaira, Hajra, Heer, Herlinda, Hartlynn, Hser, Halsey, Hathaway, Hermela, Hind, Halona, Hamda, Harshitha, Heavenlyjoy, Hadar, Haruka, Hatley, Havisha, Heloise, Hephzibah, Heylin, Hildegard, Hoda
- 8-9: Hanifa, Happiness, Hessa, Hibo, Hidaya, Hikma, Hilde, Holy, Honest, Hypatia, Halimatou, Hanalei, Harland, Hortencia
- 7: Haddison, Hannie, Hava, Henriette, Hetvi, Hewan, Hildy, Hiya, Horizon
- 6: Haidee, Hallelujah, Hannahgrace, Hansini, Harlequin, Harliv, Harumi, Hasanat, Hawraa, Healani, Helia, Herminia, Hestia, Holliday, Hridya, Hrisha, Hyacinth
- 5: Hadasha, Hanvika, Haram, Harseerat, Hasnaa, Hassanatou, Haunani, Haynes, Hemen, Hendel, Hettie, Hinako, Hinami, Honoka, Honore, Honoria, Husaina
- 100-183 boys named: Harlem, Hans, Hagen, Hoyt
- 50-99: Hamilton, Hiram, Hawkins, Heriberto, Herbert, Hiro, Hernan, Heston, Hansel, Holt, Hampton, Hosea, Haddon, Hawk, Haziel
- 25-49: Hero, Hardy, Huxton, Hanson, Hisham, Hubert, Halen, Hawthorne, Humza, Hatcher, Hadrian, Haakon, Hari, Haydn, Henderson, Hillel, Hogan, Haniel, Harbor, Harmon, Herschel, Huckleberry, Hilario, Homero
- 10-24: Heber, Hilton, Homer, Hutch, Halston, Hazael, Horace, Helios, Huzaifa, Hale, Haroun, Han, Hercules, Hunner, Haruki, Hewitt, Hyatt, Hannibal, Helix, Horatio, Haruto, Huston, Haneef, Haru, Hiroki, Hurley, Hazaiah, Hriday, Hridaan, Hyde, Hades, Helio, Hutchinson, Hykeem, Hafiz, Hamish, Havoc, Haziq, Hiroshi, Hobson, Howie, Huntingdon, Haines, Hartaj, Hayato, Haywood, Hendry, Hobie
- 8-9: Henok, Hermes, Hipolito, Haggai, Haku, Hammond, Handsome, Hanzalah, Hardin, Harjot, Harrington, Hatch, Haxton, Helaman, Hemi, Heron, Holder, Hughes
- 7: Hadriel, Hananiah, Haoxuan, Harsh, Havok, Heaton, Hebron, Hemingway, Hobbes, Hollister, Htoo, Hunt
- 6: Hamdi, Hansley, Happy, Harald, Harbour, Harding, Hastings, Hebert, Hinton, Hiroto, Hooper, Horus, Hovhannes, Hung
- 5: Haig, Hall, Hamdaan, Handy, Hanz, Hap, Harfateh, Hariharan, Hartford, Harvard, Hasten, Hawkeye, Heathcliff, Hikaru, Hill, Hilo, Hoke, Hopper, Hyland
My three very favorite names (overall, not just among ‘H’ names) are mentioned within the post. Bonus points to anyone who can correctly guess them!
Do you have a favorite ‘H’ name? Let me know in the comments!