Here’s an eclectic selection of rare names I spotted throughout my community this month!
- Bosley (m, deceased)
- Urcell (f, deceased) – This lady was around 100 years old…and while I can’t find Urcell in Social Security Administration birth data around the World War I era (or ever, for that matter) the spelling Ursel appeared for both genders around that time. Is it related to Ursula, or is it some extinct name everybody’s long forgotten?
- Jobie (f, young adult) – Jobie appears in SSA birth data far more often for boys than it does for girls (it’s probably meant as a pet form of Job), but sometimes there’s a blip on the girls’ side. It last appeared in SSA birth data in 2016 for boys and 2009 for girls.
- Margaux – This is an interesting variation on Margot, which is a French short form of Marguerite. Margaux is a Bordeaux village associated with some of the world’s finest wines. 138 girls were named Margaux in 2017.
- Caolan (m) – sort-of Anglicized version of the Irish name Caolán. Caolan last appeared in SSA data in 2006.
- Darcy (baby girl) – 183 girls and 13 boys were named Darcy in the U.S. last year.
- Tripton (child) – this name first appeared in SSA data c. 2007, and last appeared in 2016. It’d make a nice way to spruce up the name Tripp.
- Axie (elderly woman) – last appeared in SSA birth data in 1942. I’m surprised Axie isn’t more common today…the “ax” element is trendy, and it’s fairly similar to popular nicknames like Evie.
- Rufina – the feminine form of Rufinus, rare Rufina peaked in the 1920s. Her last appearance in SSA birth data was in 2016.
What do you think of these names? Have you spotted any interesting names in your community this month? Let me know!
Earlier rare name round-ups in 2018:
We’re finally at the end of this series! Over the past year, I’ve compiled alphabetically-organized selections of interesting rare baby names from 2016. Now, we’re not only at letter 26, but we’re imminently expecting the next data release. Tomorrow morning (May 11th), the Social Security Administration releases its data for the most popular baby names of 2017. I’m so excited…are you? 🙂
Here are just some of the rare ‘Z’ names given to babies in the U.S. in 2016:
- 150-218 named: Zoya, Zayla, Zola, Zaya, Zadie, Zahara, Zora, Zella, Zaina
- 100-149: Zia, Ziva, Zinnia, Zuleyka, Zyana, Zayda, Zyla
- 50-99: Zayna, Zelie, Zakiyah, Zipporah, Zarina, Zya, Zamora, Zamiyah, Zhuri, Zoelle, Zaliyah
- 25-49: Zena, Zada, Zamya, Zenobia, Zeynep, Zari, Zoha, Zamaya, Zyra, Zoi, Zulema, Zuria, Zaelynn, Zahira, Zenaida, Zamira, Zoriah, Zahava, Zana, Zuzanna, Zalayah, Zunairah, Zahria, Zaidee, Zina, Zyanya, Zyasia, Zanylah, Zlata, Zuleika
- 10-24: Zenia, Zeva, Ziona, Zowie, Zurisadai, Zamara, Zanna, Zelena, Zulay, Zelia, Zissy, Zoraya, Zakayla, Zareen, Zadaya, Zarielle, Zeenat, Zehra, Zoella, Zaia, Zalia, Zania, Zayana, Zosia, Zanovia, Zo, Zabrina, Zhara, Zillah, Zoila, Zully, Zamyra, Zarai, Zuzu, Zariana, Zenovia, Zetta, Ziara, Zala, Zayanna, Zeriah, Zhane, Zamzam, Zaylani, Zelina, Zita, Zykeria, Zaaliyah, Zelma, Zayleen, Zeeva, Zellie, Zeniya, Zabella, Zafirah, Zanae, Zaneta, Zannah, Zaray, Zariel, Zawadi, Zema, Zera, Zeta, Zimal, Zinachimdi, Zixi, Zylie
- 9: Zea, Zehava, Zineb, Ziomara, Zohar, Zolie, Zona, Zoraida, Zriyah, Zula, Zulma, Zyann, Zyelle, Zylynn
- 8: Zarahi, Zhia, Zniyah, Zoelys, Zorianna, Zsazsa, Zuleimy, Zyva
- 7: Zabdi, Zareth, Zatanna, Zavia, Zeidy, Zephora, Zhoemi, Ziani, Zinaya, Zirwa, Zitlali, Zonnique
- 6: Zamina, Zaveah, Zeda, Zephyra, Zeplyn, Ziqi, Zitong, Zoanna, Zuhur, Zurielle, Zyriana, Zyrie
- 5: Zaelie, Zafiro, Zafreen, Zahida, Zahniyah, Zamiaya, Zanasia, Zariha, Zarlish, Zela, Zelaya, Zelene, Zerelda, Zhaniya, Zhen, Zianne, Zikra, Zing, Zixuan, Zizi, Zlaty, Zoa, Zoeigh, Zorrie, Zumra, Zynae
- 100-186 named: Zahir, Zamir, Zev, Zakai, Zephaniah, Zavion, Zaylen, Zeus, Zephyr, Zabdiel, Zaden, Zakariya
- 50-99: Zyler, Zacharias, Zen, Zeppelin, Zuriel, Zamari, Zade
- 25-49: Zamarion, Zylen, Ziyad, Ziggy, Zidane, Zaki, Zacchaeus, Zaydin, Zayyan, Ziad, Zian, Zedekiah, Zaxton, Zekiel, Zohan, Zeb, Zeno, Zlatan, Zymere
- 10-24: Zahid, Zebulon, Zubair, Zadok, Zamar, Zealand, Zadrian, Zaeem, Zarek, Zebediah, Zeth, Zadkiel, Zalen, Zebulun, Zaryan, Zebadiah, Zohaib, Zorawar, Zephan, Zalman, Zenon, Zoltan, Zoran, Zael, Zaviyar, Zani, Zaniel, Zarian, Zed, Zenith, Zigmund, Zvi, Zyden, Zyheir, Zymeir, Zadiel, Zaim, Zichen, Zyron, Zaccai, Zafir, Zende, Zinedine, Zorian, Zuko, Zyking, Zaquan, Zaylor, Zayon, Zebedee
- 9: Zahran, Zai, Zairus, Zeal, Zeddicus, Zeeshan, Zeon, Zeph, Zihan, Zikora, Zyrell
- 8: Zabriel, Zandon, Zavin, Zebastian, Zeven, Zimri, Zisha, Zyrion
- 7: Zacharius, Zadquiel, Zahi, Zakyrie, Zarif, Zaron, Zaul, Zerek, Zishan, Ziv, Zixuan, Zoraiz, Zoraver, Zubin, Zuhaib
- 6: Zae, Zale, Zam, Zantiago, Zarin, Zarrar, Zay, Zelig, Zevin, Zi, Ziheng, Zyquan
- 5: Zaevon, Zafar, Zahkeem, Zakaiden, Zalan, Zamil, Zaxon, Zaymar, Zayshaun, Zedric, Zephyrus, Zethan, Zihao, Zimo, Zirui, Ziyang, Zoel, Zolton, Zurich
Do you have a favorite rare ‘Z’ name? Let me know! And thank you for following along this series of unusual baby names.
The 2017 baby name data comes out in just two more days (May 11th), so I’m finishing up my series of initial-sorted rare names from 2016! Here is a selection of rare ‘X’ and ‘Y’ names given to babies in the U.S. two years ago, according to extended data from the Social Security Administration. I’ll post the rare ‘Z’ names tomorrow.
- 50-257 named: Xiomara, Xena, Xitlali, Xochitl, Xyla, Xenia
- 10-49: Xaria, Xareni, Xia, Xandria, Xariah, Xylia, Xavia, Xandra, Xaniah, Xin, Xayla, Xiara, Xinyi
- 8-9: Xamira, Xaniyah, Xela, Xiana, Xariyah, Xaviera, Xianna, Xolani, Xyliana
- 5-7: Xea, Xola, Xania, Xanthe, Xarielys, Xaylee, Xochi, Xcaret, Xiaoxi, Xitlalic
- 25-122 named: Xavi, Xaiden, Xavian, Xavion, Xion
- 10-24: Xaiver, Xadrian, Xayvion, Xerxes, Xyler, Xian, Xylan, Xabi, Xachary
- 7-9: Xabier, Xhaiden, Xadiel, Xuan, Xaire
- 5-6: Xylon, Xain, Xamir, Xan, Xavius, Xiang
- 150-205 named: Yaritza, Yesenia, Yazmin, Yara, Yasmine
- 100-149: Yuna, Yaneli, Yusra, Yvonne, Yvette
- 50-99: Yatziri, Yolanda, Yurani, Yasmeen, Yuri, Yana, Yitty, Yamila, Yadira, Yocheved, Yahaira, Yehudis, Yasmina, Yatzil, Yelena, Yaiza, Yuritzi
- 25-49: Yohana, Yanet, Yareni, Yumi, Yelitza, Yides, Yetzali, Yanira, Yui, Yeimy, Yuki, Yashvi, Yaneth, Yuridia, Yashika
- 10-24: Yari, Yeva, Yumna, Yaelis, Yamilex, Yuriana, Yarielis, Yemaya, Yakira, Yanelis, Yesli, Yaira, Yaquelin, Yeshia, Yilia, Yliana, Yoana, Yalena, Yaslin, Yeily, Yulieth, Yuvia, Yani, Yaritzi, Yemariam, Yaileen, Yazaira, Yeilyn, Yuleimy, Yazhini, Yazlynn, Yilin, Yissel, Yuritza, Yutong, Yvaine, Yamina, Yaneisy, Yarexi, Yachet, Yareliz, Yariana, Yeraldin, Ytzel, Yukari
- 9: Yashira, Yasna, Yenifer, Yenty, Yihan, Yordanos
- 8: Yancy, Yanessa, Yatzary, Yaxeni, Yaz, Yena, Yitta, Yixin, Yiyi, Yuhan, Yuktha, Yuval
- 7: Yakelin, Yalexa, Yalina, Yalini, Yamile, Yanai, Yanitza, Yariah, Yasira, Yazleemar, Yeabsira, Yehudit, Yen, Yesha, Yittel, Yoali, Yoltzin, Yoyo, Ysela, Yunalesca, Yuni, Yuriko, Yuxi, Yuxin
- 6: Yafa, Yarden, Yaritzel, Yarlin, Yasina, Yasmely, Yasuri, Yatzari, Yeslin, Yeyetzi, Yiran, Yixuan, Yizel, Yorleny, Younique, Yumiko, Yunxi
- 5: Yaa, Yabsera, Yagmur, Yaheli, Yahvi, Yalda, Yamani, Yardley, Yaribeth, Yarisbeth, Yashi, Yazbeth, Yazlene, Yeilani, Yifei, Ynez, Yodahe, Yoko, Yovana, Ysa, Yubin, Yuka, Yukina, Yukti, Yulani, Yumalay, Yun, Yunuen, Yuvika, Yuzuki
- 100-201 named: Yael, Yadiel, Yaseen, Yitzchok, Yandel, Yasir, Yariel
- 50-99: Yoandri, Yuvan, Yazan, Yash, Yuvraj, Yasser, Yechiel, Yannick, Yohan, Yunus
- 25-49: Yerik, Yug, Yadier, Yahia, Yasiel, Yamir, Yamil, Yuvin, Yan, Yeshaya, Yafet, Yaniel, Yeray, Yossi, Yamen, Yanis, Yareth
- 10-24: Yahshua, Yadriel, Yago, Yeiden, Yanni, Yassine, Yechezkel, Yann, Yanuel, Yaroslav, Yazid, Yates, Yuriel, Yaiden, Yazen, Yaziel, Yishai, Yoni, Yves, Yadir, Yuma, Yurem, Yerachmiel, Yobani, Yaman, Yaxiel, Yichen, Yonael, York, Yacine, Yandriel, Yaron, Yeab, Yeudiel, Yi, Yomar, Yu, Yancarlos, Yerick, Yeriel, Yida, Yifan, Yogi, Yugan, Yuto
- 9: Yasmani, Yaw, Yohanan, Yostin, Yunior, Yuriy
- 8: Yali, Yanky, Yetzael, Yoav, Yojan, Yordi, Yosgart, Yuan, Yuchen, Yuniel, Yunqi, Yusei
- 7: Yabdiel, Yamato, Yedaiah, Yeico, Yian, Yiming, Yochanan, Youhance, Yonason, Yusha
- 6: Yandell, Yaniv, Yashas, Yeiren, Yexian, Yicheng, Yidel, Yinuo, Yoshi, Yosmar, Yuvi, Yuxuan
- 5: Yader, Yahveh, Yale, Yamajesty, Yancey, Yankel, Yao, Yaqeen, Yashwin, Yassiel, Yatniel, Yavier, Ye, Yedidya, Yekusiel, Yeltsin, Yiddy, Yigit, Yishay, Yissachar, Yiyang, Young, Yucheng, Yusufbek, Yusuke, Yuuki, Ywa
Do you have a favorite rare ‘X’ or ‘Y’ name? Let me know!
With the new U.S. baby name data for 2017 coming out on Friday, and considering that relatively few names names start with letters at the end of the alphabet, I’ve combined rare ‘U,’ ‘V,’ and ‘W’ names from 2016 into a single post. Enjoy!
- 25-115 named: Unique, Uma, Una, Unity, Ursula
- 10-24: Ulani, Ulyana, Umaiza, Umaima, Urvi
- 6-8: Ula, Umme, Umu, Urielle, Ursa
- 5: Ualani, Ubah, Umi, Ummehani, Umrah, Urwa
- 25-143 named: Ulysses, Usman, Uzziah, Usher, Urban, Ubaldo, Umair
- 10-24: Uri, Uzziel, Ulrich, Uzair, Urias, Uthman, Umer
- 6-9: Uchenna, Uzay, Uchechukwu, Ugonna, Ugochukwu, Upton, Utah, Uwais
- 5: Udochuwku, Ujwal, Umarbek, Uros
- 100-245 named: Viola, Violette, Vida, Violetta, Valencia
- 50-99: Venus, Vianney, Verity, Vania, Vesper, Vanna
- 25-49: Vale, Vanellope, Valkyrie, Victory, Vianna, Verna, Venice, Vaishnavi, Vega, Vanity, Varnika, Vasilisa, Veera, Vy, Vaani
- 10-24: Vela, Vita, Verona, Vibha, Vilma, Viridiana, Valeska, Vedika, Vasiliki, Verena, Varvara, Vayla, Vung, Varsha, Venna, Vitalia, Vivia, Vivica, Valley, Vanshika, Viha, Vaanya, Vaidehi, Venba, Vidhi, Vika, Vincenza, Via, Videl, Vidalia, Vienne, Vyla, Vara, Verenice, Vina, Vincy, Viona, Viva
- 8-9: Vala, Vashti, Vedha, Vesta, Vidya, Vismaya, Vaelyn, Velvet, Venezia
- 7: Varshini, Vedanshi, Veeksha, Velma, Vesa, Vinisha, Vlada, Vrinda
- 6: Valena, Valeriana, Varenya, Vasilia, Veralynn, Victoire, Victoriana, Vinaya
- 5: Vaibhavi, Vaishvi, Valaysia, Vanille, Vanisha, Varna, Velia, Velouria, Versailles, Veruca, Virsaviya, Vishika, Vishwa, Viviani, Vriti
- 50-178 named: Vladimir, Veer, Vernon, Ved, Vito, Viraj, Valor, Virgil, Valen, Von, Vedant, Vander, Vikram, Vidal
- 25-48: Vedansh, Varun, Virat, Vivan, Valentine, Vansh, Viggo, Vinson, Valente, Vyom, Vishnu, Vladislav, Vasilios, Vinh
- 10-24: Vedh, Vir, Vaibhav, Vadim, Vibhav, Vishwa, Varian, Viren, Vishal, Vallen, Vaden, Vardaan, Vash, Vashawn, Vitaly, Vuk, Vinay, Vinicio, Vivek, Vayden, Vihaanreddy, Vijay, Vishruth, Varick, Vernell, Vinicius, Vishak, Vishan, Volvi, Vrishank
- 9: Victorious, Vidyut, Vikrant, Virlan, Vontrell
- 7-8: Vinton, Vahe, Vasco, Ventura, Victoriano, Vidur, Vishakan, Voss, Vraj
- 6: Valdemar, Valencio, Valiant, Venancio, Ventus, Victorino, Viet, Vinayak, Vishanth, Vishva, Vitus, Vontae
- 5: Valerio, Valik, Valon, Vanden, Varad, Varek, Varin, Vedder, Vegas, Vegeta, Vigo, Virgilio, Vishraan, Vishrut
- 100-250 named: Whitley, Winnie, Waverly, Winifred, Wilhelmina
- 25-99: Winona, Wednesday, Weslyn, Winry, Wisdom, Wynne, Windsor, Wanda, Winslow
- 10-24: Westlyn, Wilma, Wania, Waylynn, Wateen, Winslet, Warda, Wrenna
- 7-9: Wrenlee, Wajiha, Wallis, Wakely, Willoughby
- 5-6: Wafaa, Windy, Winterrose, Wedad, Whisper, Wilmary, Wimberly, Winta, Wynonna, Wyoming
- 100-196 named: Wallace, Wiley, Wells, Watson, Wolfgang, Wilmer
- 50-99: Wendell, Warner, Woodrow, Witten, West, Willem, Willis, Wolf, Wali, Wilfredo, Wynn
- 25-49: Ward, Whitaker, Willard, Weldon, Wayland, Walden, Wilbert, Whitman, Williams, Wilber, Welles, Wellington, Wilfred, Waseem, Walt, Wolfe, Wrigley, Walton, Whit, Walid
- 10-24: Wilbur, Wilhelm, Wyland, Waris, Wesam, Willian, Woodson, Wheeler, Whitten, Wael, Winner, Webb, Wake, Wilton, Woods, Wrangler, Wilkes, Webster, Wassim, Werner, Wright, Wyeth, Warrick, Witt, Worth, Wagner, Washington, Weiland, Winfield
- 9: Wacey, Waldo, Whitton, Winchester, Winson, Wyman
- 7-8: Warrior, Wilford, Wakiyan, Warwick, Whitson, Wills, Win, Wulfric, Wynton
- 6: Wahid, Wardell, Warden, Wayden, Whitfield, Wilkin, Wilman, Wrennyn
- 5: Wahab, Wais, Waldemar, Warsame, Wasi, Weber, Whalen, Whelan, Wilberth, Wilco, Wilfrido, Winthrop, Woodley, Wystan
Do you have a favorite rare name that starts with one of these letters? Let me know!
Here’s a list of rare ‘T’ names given to American babies in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration (which is going to release the 2017 data in a few days. Yay!). These aren’t all the unusual names starting with this letter…just the highlights.
- 200-262 babies named: Treasure, Temperance, Taya, Tamia, Taryn, Tess
- 100-199: Tia, Tesla, Tallulah, Tamara, Taraji, Tala, Tina, Tayla, Tiara, Theodora, Tanvi, Trisha
- 50-99: Taniyah, Terra, Tanya, Tracy, Tamar, Tilly, Therese, Taylynn, Taylee, Timber, Tova, Taleen, Tammy, Tierney, Tyra, Tirzah, Tyanna, Tasneem
- 25-49: Tahiry, Tyla, Tanisha, Truly, Talayah, Talitha, Tylee, Tariah, Tzipora, Tyasia, Tennyson, Tali, Tanishka, Tauriel, Thelma, Tavia, Tula, Tasia, Trista, Tehila, Twyla, Tahani, Talaysia, Tensley, Tigerlily, Topanga
- 10-24: Tempest, Tennessee, Trina, Trudy, Twila, Tamsin, Tzivia, Tahira, Tasha, Thora, Toriana, Tamryn, Taina, Taisley, Tessie, Timberly, Tamari, Thania, Troi, Tsion, Tylia, Takiyah, Teal, Tisha, Tiwatope, Toba, Tuesday, Tenaya, Terriana, Thais, Tomi, Torah, Trany, Tamira, Tressa, Triana, Tulsi, Tvisha, Tzirel, Taliana, Talina, Tanishi, Taraoluwa, Trixie, Takayla, Tanyla, Thaily, Tilda, Tonia, Trishika, Tytiana, Takara, Tashi, Tasmia, Teresita, Traniyah, Talani, Taline, Tam, Tayanna, Temple, Tiare, Tailor, Tanvika, Tashvi, Tavi, Tawny, Teniola, Tilia, Tove, Tris, Tuleen, Tzippy
- 8-9: Temiloluwa, Thessaly, Tiaraoluwa, Talisa, Talley, Tasfia, Theory, Tien, Tirenioluwa, Tulip, Tyrianna, Tzivy
- 7: Talita, Tamila, Tansy, Testimony, Thailyn, Tifa, Torunn, Treva
- 6: Tacori, Tahreem, Taimane, Tanzila, Taralynn, Tasnia, Tatelyn, Tejasvi, Tesslyn, Teva, Texas, Theodosia, Thisbe, Tikva, Tomorrow, Tonantzin, Topaz, Tristine
- 5: Tabea, Tacy, Tahiya, Tahmina, Taiba, Talar, Talayla, Talianna, Tarini, Tasi, Tauri, Taylani, Teela, Temidayo, Tena, Tequila, Tessley, Teuila, Tha, Timea, Timiyah, Tionne, Tisa, Tiwaloluwa, Tola, Toluwanimi, Torilynn, Treya, Trillium, Trinley, Trish, Troian, Tryphena, Tulia, Twisha, Tykera, Tyndall, Tyria
- 150-201 babies named: Tyrone, Tyree, Truman, Todd, Taj, Tyrell, Tayden, Torin
- 100-149: Thorin, Tevin, Truett, Tzvi, Tariq, Tobin, Tyrese, Trevon, Tylan
- 50-99: Tiberius, Thor, Tenzin, Taylen, Triton, Tyce, Theron, Townes, Taha, Tyshawn, Tyrus, Trayvon, Tremaine, Tamir, Tyrion, Tamim, Tylen, Tavin, Thane, Thompson, Timur, Truth
- 25-49: Theophilus, Tory, Teague, Thang, Torrance, True, Tayer, Takoda, Tafari, Tobiah, Theseus, Tiernan, Tillman, Tj, Trapper, Torian, Taym, Torrence, Tuff, Tayson, Tyquan, Tevita, Talmage, Tayton, Tadhg, Tilden, Tavian, Tiger, Talal, Tavaris, Tyjuan
- 10-24: Tanush, Taysom, Thien, Torsten, Taggart, Trigg, Taft, Treshawn, Tuck, Theoden, Tracen, Trinidad, Tavin, Thelonious, Tito, Townsend, Trigger, Thurman, Trust, Tycho, Takumi, Takai, Taurean, Thierry, Trustin, Tyreke, Taavi, Taevon, Thurston, Tilak, Tipton, Tully, Tahmid, Taz, Tor, Tadashi, Takeo, Teller, Thai, Toa, Tri, Tassen, Thaxton, Thorten, Toussaint, Trajan, Trip, Trygve, Tal, Taurus, Tino, Tobenna, Torben, Turki, Tavarius, Thackery, Thornton, Thunder, Tulio
- 9: Tanvir, Teancum, Teoman, Terrin, Tex, Thailand, Thierno, Thorn, Timo, Tlaloc, Tobechukwu, Tobiloba, Torres, Tresor
- 8: Tahmeed, Taiwan, Takashi, Taksh, Taquan, Tavis, Tekoa, Temitayo, Thanos, Tonatiuh, Toretto, Tramel, Tripton, Tuvia, Tyga, Tyjae, Tyrael
- 7: Tae, Tajae, Takeshi, Tallis, Talmadge, Taniela, Tanis, Taos, Tavius, Teion, Temesgen, Temujin, Terez, Tharun, Thijs, Tolliver, Tonio, Topher, Toprak, Tracer, Trell, Trew, Trillion, Triumph, Trooper, Trowa, Turan, Tymarion, Tyray
- 6: Taahir, Tadeas, Taiki, Taino, Taio, Tajuan, Takeru, Taliesin, Tamarius, Tamem, Tank, Tannen, Tanveer, Tarak, Taras, Taskin, Taves, Tavita, Tavoris, Tawfiq, Tazio, Teak, Tejus, Telly, Telvin, Temitope, Temuge, Teofilo, Thales, Thanh, Theoren, Thorne, Tiam, Tikon, Timaeus, Timileyin, Timon, Timothee, Tin, Tomoya, Toriano, Toribio, Toshiro, Traeger, Trebor, Trek, Tron, Truce, Truxton, Tydarius, Tyke, Tyking, Tyrome, Tzion
- 5: Taaraz, Tabious, Tag, Taiwo, Tajai, Takahiro, Tamatoa, Tanuj, Taraj, Taro, Tarrant, Tejveer, Tengis, Thabit, Theodis, Thom, Thurmond, Tiberias, Tiller, Tinsae, Tirth, Tobijah, Tochi, Tod, Toluwani, Tomo, Torstein, Tosh, Toviyah, Tracker, Trafton, Trance, Trennon, Trevino, Trexton, Treylin, Treysen, Trice, Trindon, Tyland, Tywin
Do you have a favorite rare ‘T’ name? Let me know!
Here are some rare ‘S’ names that were given to boys in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration. Earlier today, I posted about one of the names included in this list – Severus – because I’ve never seen him anywhere near as common as 32 boys in one year! To be fair, that’s still considered very rare.
- 150-199: Simeon, Sidney, Semaj, Slade, Stone, Shlomo, Sami, Smith, Syed
- 100-149: Salem, Salman, Steele, Sheldon, Siddharth, Saint
- 50-99: Sire, Sultan, Savion, Seven, Shamar, Storm, Shaurya, Stryker, Saif, Shiv, Samarth, Shaya, Stellan, Sulaiman, Saleh, Shlok, Shia, Sahil, Samar, Sylvester, Shayan, Selim, Stiles, Stockton, Stuart, Shivansh, Simcha, Slater, Shaquille, Sahir, Shulem, Steel, Sagan, Sampson, Shai, Sir
- 25-49: Shamir, Surya, Sai, Saxon, Sherman, Sanjay, Stratton, Sutter, Shakur, Slate, Srihan, Stanton, Subhan, Sylvan, Shmiel, Summit, Safwan, Seeley, Shelton, Saud, Sirius, Sriyan, Sachin, Saharsh, Shreyan, Scotty, Soham, Sven, Shaw, Stryder, Sudais, Sahib, Severus, Shloimy, Stewart, Sabir, Shraga, Shreyansh, Sander, Selvin, Shivam, Saxton, Servando, Sharif, Silvio, Sanad, Satvik, Shan, Saw, Shaul, Styles, Sadiq, Sandro, Schuyler, Siddhartha, Sriram
- 10-24: Sajid, Sekou, Shayden, Sanders, Saulo, Savon, Sharbel, Slayton, Saketh, Santo, Sparsh, Stirling, Sully, Santonio, Strider, Supreme, Stark, Saverio, Shakir, Sixto, Sufyan, Sahaj, Sal, Santi, Sebastiano, Serafin, Serge, Sharvil, Shaunak, Sherrod, Sherwin, Shneur, Sid, Stavros, Sabian, Samael, Savino, Savior, Schneider, Shad, Skanda, Sayer, Shade, Sheikh, Silvano, Srithik, Sanford, Shedrick, Shiva, Snyder, Sohail, Stevenson, Saber, Sanjeev, Sharmarke, Shimshon, Shine, Sinclair, Sriyansh, Stafford, Stanford, Stanislav, Sabino, Sadler, Sanav, Sandor, Sanjith, Severiano, Shahid, Shaka, Shant, Shaquan, Shooter, Subham, Simba, Sneyder, Samwise, Sanchez, Sang, Sarkis, Severin, Shah, Shray, Sigmund, Sumner, Sun, Szymon
- 9: Sabdiel, Samanyu, Samhith, Schneur, Sekai, Serigne, Seymour, Shadrach, Sherwood, Sho, Shuaib, Skip, Soma, Sovereign, Stokely, Swade
- 8: Sabien, Safeer, Sajjad, Samridh, Santiel, Sartaj, Saurav, Sava, Savage, Scot, Seraj, Sergei, Severo, Seydou, Shahir, Shandon, Shemuel, Shep, Sherlock, Shivin, Shota, Silvan, Skyden, Sneijder, Solon, Spiro, Srikar, Staten, Stedman, Stihl, Striker
- 7: Salahuddin, Samyog, Saugat, Schafer, Selassie, Shabazz, Shalev, Shahin, Shashank, Shenouda, Siaosi, Siddiq, Silvino, Sladen, Smaran, Sony, Srihaas, Sriman, Strickland
- 6: Sadrac, Sagar, Sahishnu, Saiansh, Salam, Samatar, Samuela, Samwell, Saquan, Savoy, Sayyid, Seaton, Seger, Selwyn, Sender, Shankar, Shavar, Shazil, Shervin, Shivay, Shohjahon, Shomari, Siddh, Sigurd, Sirach, Siranthony, Sirking, Sly, Smokey, Sosuke, Sotero, Srihith, Srijan, Srikrishna, Sruly, Stallone, Statham, Stevens, Sundiata
- 5: Safwat, Sakariye, Salinger, San, Satchel, Sathwik, Satoshi, Satyam, Savant, Say, Seanix, Serafim, Severyn, Shady, Shaker, Shaydon, Sheng, Shresht, Shyheim, Siddhanth, Siegfried, Sigifredo, Sircharles, Sirwilliam, Slevin, Solaris, Solo, Srihari, Sriniketh, Srinivas, Stalin, Stanlee, Statler, Stelios, Suyog, Syd
Do you have a favorite name on this list? Let me know! And if you haven’t already seen the list of rare ‘S’ names for girls, here it is.
2017 baby name data for the U.S. is supposed to be released around May 11th, so we are in the homestretch! In the meantime, let’s finish up the 2016 alphabet.
Here are some rare ‘S’ names that were given to baby girls in the U.S. in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration.
- 200-259 girls named: Sonia, Samiyah, Samira, Shanaya, Shea, Sarahi, Scout, Sherlyn, Sanaa, Sally, Seraphina, Sunny, Saanvi, Stacy, Selene
- 150-199: Soraya, Shannon, Saniya, Susanna, Salem, Skylynn, Shirley, Sapphire
- 100-149: Shreya, Soleil, Symphony, Suri, Sarina, Shania, Sia, Shaylee, Stormy, Salome, Sahana, Skylee, Sheila, Shyla, Shayna, Sumaya, Sabina, Sybil, Safa, Sahara, Shoshana
- 50-99: Sahasra, Selma, Susannah, Sol, Star, Shira, Safiya, Sandy, Sevyn, Sama, Sabella, Sinai, Serene, Sabine, Shaindy, Swara, Simran, Story, Suzanne, Sedona, Sparrow, Saya, Seren, Sequoia, Syeda, Sakura, Samaria, Simona, Sahar, Scotlyn, Sirena, Snow, Starr, Scottie, Siobhan, Sayuri, Sherry, Sapphira, Silvana, Silver, Sunshine
- 25-49: Sade, Stefania, Sora, Swayze, Sena, Siham, Sima, Shivani, Sidra, Solana, Soliana, Shanelle, Sonora, Shawna, Svea, Scotland, Sephora, Seraphine, Shifra, Suzette, Saray, Starla, Sanya, Saori, Shelly, Sheridan, Sicily, Shanti, Solara, Saba, Shekinah, Sunday, Saja, Seneca, Salwa, Seerat, Solange, Suhana, Sanjana, Sarayu, Solene, Saffron, Sheryl, Sitara, Sakina, Savvy, Setareh, Starlene, Sunni, Sayla, Shamya, Suhani, Saskia, Shahd, Shakira, Shanice, Soledad, Sona, Srinika, Suhayla, Samanvi, Sansa, Seanna, Senna, Sheena, Shree, Soha, Sriya, Stephania
- 10-24: Shaindel, Shanya, Siri, Sabreen, Sloka, Sonali, Sundus, Safiyyah, Sari, September, Shahad, Shailene, Sila, Solveig, Sable, Samina, Sanari, Signe, Sehaj, Svetlana, Sibyl, Solomia, Sonam, Spirit, Sejal, Sneha, Srishti, Saleena, Sameeha, Sarabi, Saveah, Savi, Siddhi, Syrena, Sabiha, Sachi, Saliha, Sarabeth, Sarita, Sham, Shani, Sreshta, Starlynn, Sukhmani, Sabria, Safari, Saloma, Sanika, Sanyla, Sargun, Shakayla, Sigrid, Simi, Simra, Spring, Sylvana, Sakari, Samreen, Sanvika, Shirin, Sokhna, Sophina, Suki, Sunjai, Samhita, Santina, Satya, Secret, Shadia, Shireen, Shivanya, Shulamis, Shylee, Smriti, Sole, Sritha, Saddie, Sagal, Samreet, Sativa, Sefora, Seraphim, Setayesh, Shalaya, Sharanya, Shruthi, Solimar, Sophiana, Srinidhi, Staley, Starlet, Sue, Sui, Sukaina, Sabirin, Sadhana, Sahily, Samyukta, Saralynn, Selenia, Shaddai, Shailey, Shamara, Shambhavi, Shanty, Sharla, Shatha, Shawnee, Shukri, Sian, Sicilia, Siddalee, Stacia, Sybella, Sadaf, Safreen, Samanvitha, Santa, Satori, Sebastiana, Shakti, Shiori, Shraddha, Sistine, Sonoma, Soruha, Stuti, Suhavi, Sultana, Surveen
- 9: Saga, Sahari, Sakshi, Samriddhi, Samus, Satcha, Sayesha, Seema, Senora, Severine, Shari, Sita, Solomiya, Sonnet, Sophiah, Sorcha, Sunniva, Sydelle, Syrah, Syria
- 8: Sabriel, Sacred, Sadeen, Safiatou, Sahalie, Sahiba, Salice, Samika, Samsara, Sarem, Sarika, Saudia, Serafima, Shadow, Shamsa, Shasta, Shiny, Shreeja, Sibley, Simrat, Sinclaire, Smera, Solace, Sonika, Steely, Stellaluna, Summerlyn, Sunset
- 7: Sahithi, Salsabeel, Samrawit, Sathvika, Shalini, Shanae, Shanley, Shirleyann, Shterna, Shy, Sibella, Silje, Sinead, Siren, Sisira, Snighda, Sochikaima, Sondra, Sophira, Sophronia, Sosefina, Success, Sucely, Sujey, Summerrose, Sundae, Sunflower, Sylvanas, Sylvania
- 6: Sabra, Sahory, Sajdah, Samadhi, Sandrine, Sarabelle, Sarang, Saturn, Sawda, Senovia, Seraph, Shahana, Shahrazad, Shaivi, Shakia, Sharifa, Sheikha, Shiqi, Shiri, Shivanshi, Shoni, Sifan, Silva, Similoluwa, Simisola, Sisley, Sitora, Skyland, Socorro, Sojourner, Somtochukwu, Sonakshi, Sorelle, Southern, Sparkle, Srihitha, Stavroula, Stellar, Sula, Sumer, Supriya, Svara, Sway
- 5: Sadeem, Safana, Safura, Saki, Sakthi, Salimata, Salimatou, Samanda, Samuelle, Sandara, Sanskriti, Santiana, Sarani, Sareth, Sayumi, Seena, Sehajpreet, Selen, Seynabou, Shahina, Shahzoda, Shamila, Shamim, Shannara, Shantae, Shanvitha, Sheba, Shehrbano, Sherezade, Shiphrah, Shona, Shrita, Sidonie, Sincerity, Snowy, Solstice, Sookie, Sophonie, Soteria, Sravya, Srikruthi, Stana, Starling, Stellina, Sudiksha, Sueann, Suetta, Sulamita, Sulma, Sundari, Swecha, Sweden
Thoughts? Do you have a favorite rare ‘S’ names for girls? Let me know!
Yesterday I posted a selection of rare ‘R’ names for girls, so here are some rare ‘R’ names for boys! As usual, these numbers come from the Social Security Administration‘s baby name data-set for 2016. We find out the 2017 data in just a few more weeks.
- 150-202 boys named: Roderick, Rodolfo, Ross, Randall, Rashad, Ruger, Raheem, Rian, Ramsey
- 100-149: Reynaldo, Rome, Rishi, Rowdy, Ronaldo, Ramses, Rico, Rigoberto, Ren, Ryden, Ransom
- 50-99: Rockwell, Rogan, Rishaan, Renzo, Rafe, Roan, Rudra, Rivers, Rami, Raymundo, Ryu, Rehan, Radley, Ranger, Riot, Rush, Revan, Riggs, Roscoe, Raylon, Rhodes, Reggie, Raziel, Ryne, Reef, Reyes, Romello, Raghav, Rashawn, Roosevelt, Rakan, Robinson, Rashid, Rayshawn, Riddick, Riggins, Ravi, Reeve
- 25-49: Rasheed, Rustin, Rayland, Riyansh, Rider, Riyaan, Rye, Ranveer, Rainer, Rhydian, Roshan, Ram, Rashard, Renato, Rakeem, Rusty, Ragnar, Renner, Rhythm, Rexton, Randolph, Roque, Rufus, Ramir, Rigel, Redding, Ridwan, Rudolph, Ryett, Rajveer, Rishik, Rainier, Rock, Rook, Renly, Reza, Raider, Rondell, Rigo, Rishabh, Reno, Robel, Roczen, Reeves, Romero
- 10-24: Ramone, Richmond, Rigby, Rorik, Rahman, Raj, Rocket, Rosendo, Redmond, Ruhan, Ramel, Ramzi, Rand, Riggin, Rudransh, Rajon, Rommel, Roper, Ruslan, Race, Raudel, Remus, Rowland, Rune, Ruthvik, Rutledge, Rajan, Raynor, Ronav, Rich, Riku, Rishab, Rithik, Ritter, Roark, Ruston, Rahsaan, Rahul, Rawley, Rocko, Rollin, Ryo, Ramadan, Ripken, Rohit, Rourke, Rowe, Rubens, Rupert, Revere, Richardson, Rockford, Romario, Ruvim, Ruxin, Raja, Reddington, Regis, Reuel, Rhone, Romulo, Ralston, Rance, Redford, Revel, Rishav, Rodriguez, Rosalio, Rucker, Rayquan, Rigdon, Righteous, Roarke, Robben, Rod, Rafferty, Rally, Rambo, Redd, Remo, Renan, Rexford, Reznor, Rollie, Royston, Ruairi
- 9: Radek, Raekwon, Rawlings, Red, Rein, Reiner, Renton, Reo, Rigley, Rohin, Rollo
- 8: Radford, Rameses, Rankin, Rayniel, Refugio, Regal, Renji, Revansh, Reynold, Rockland, Romulus, Rufino, Russ, Rustam, Rutherford
- 7: Ra, Rafiq, Rahm, Raistlin, Ramari, Ramsay, Ranson, Rawson, Reade, Regino, Reston, Ridha, Riordan, Rizzo, Rogers, Rollins, Ronal, Rudolf, Rushton
- 6: Racer, Rad, Rage, Ralpheal, Range, Raquan, Rawling, Raxton, Rehansh, Reiss, Remigio, Reus, Richter, Rigsby, Riser, Rixton, Rohith, Romaine, Ruichen, Rutger
- 5: Radeen, Rafat, Rainn, Raizo, Raji, Rawlins, Raza, Redden, Rem, Remiel, Rennen, Rennick, Renzel, Rhody, Ridgely, Ridger, Ringo, Rishank, Rito, Robson, Roby, Rogerick, Roko, Romualdo, Roston, Rowley, Ruaridh, Ruddy, Ruzgar, Ryota, Ryse
Do you have a favorite rare ‘R’ name for boys? Let me know!
But of course I’d hit the ‘R’ names in time for the Royal Baby! Though, said baby is a little prince, not a princess.
Anyways, here is a selection of rare ‘R’ names given to American girls in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration. I’ll post the boys’ names later.
- 200-257 girls named: Renee, Raylee, Rilynn, Robin, Raya, Regan, Rita
- 150-199: Rae, Roxanne, Rihanna, Raleigh, Rosalind, Renesmee
- 100-149: Rhiannon, Rosalina, Rosalia, Ripley, Rosemarie, Rochel, Ria, Roxana, Rosalinda, Reem, Raniyah, Rebel
- 50-99: Rahma, Rain, Rania, Raizy, Rivky, Romy, Ridley, Randi, Rosario, Rocio, Rosabella, Rina, Royale, Ruhi, Rikki, Razan, Rana, Roberta, Rainey, Roxy, Rosanna, Rhoda
- 25-49: Raizel, Rochelle, Rahaf, Rosella, Rafaela, Rawan, Rogue, Roma, Roya, Rayla, Reginae, Rhema, Rosetta, Rosaline, Remedy, Rooney, Rayanna, Radha, Railey, Riva, Rue, Ryanna, Rida, Ramiyah, Rinoa, Rosabelle, Rielle, Runa, Ruthann, Roni, Rona, Ruqayyah, Rut, Rei, Rima, Roisin, Rosita, Rumi, Rani
- 10-24: Raziya, Renley, Rhonda, Risa, Rainy, Raghad, Reba, Ridhi, Rishika, Ruchy, Rama, Raneem, Ravenna, Richelle, Rosina, Reighlynn, Radhika, Raeann, Raphaela, Rowena, Rabia, Retal, Rossi, Rumaisa, Rayelle, Reverie, Roseanne, Ruweyda, Ryelle, Rynlee, Romelia, Roux, Rushika, Rainbow, Reham, Renna, Retaj, Rin, Ritika, Roshni, Ruhama, Ruhani, Raissa, Rasha, Rayhana, Reata, Risha, Riyanshi, Roniya, Ruah, Raahi, Ramla, Rosaria, Ruchel, Reine, Renad, Rithika, Rosaura, Rukia, Rinnah, Roe, Rosamaria, Rutila, Raelani, Rakeb, Ramata, Ramey, Rayleen, Reigna, Rejoice, Rola, Romani, Rosalba, Ruba, Ruthanna
- 9: Rafeef, Rahel, Ramia, Rasika, Rateel, Rehmat, Rella, Remas, Remini, Ridhima, Riverly, Riverlyn, Rokia, Ronja
- 8: Rahab, Rahf, Rahima, Rarity, Reha, Rilla, Rim, Ritisha, Riyaq, Rodina, Roksana, Rosalva, Rosamund, Rosary, Roselani, Rubina, Ruchama, Rufina
- 7: Raksha, Ramani, Ravina, Remilynn, Reminisce, Rianshi, Richa, Richlynn, Rinka, Rocklyn, Roha, Roiza, Romilly, Rosse, Rubani, Rumer, Rushda, Ruthvika
- 6: Raaga, Rabab, Radiance, Radiya, Rajvi, Ralayah, Raliyah, Ramatoulaye, Randa, Raneen, Ravya, Rawa, Rawda, Rechy, Rehana, Reika, Reiko, Retta, Rhapsody, Rika, Riko, Ritanya, Romana, Ronda, Rosabel, Rosalita, Rosha, Russia
- 5: Rada, Ran, Ranessa, Rashi, Ravneet, Reality, Ree, Reilani, Rekik, Renita, Reyanshi, Riata, Ridha, Rilley, Rinna, Rithvika, Ritvi, Riyansika, Rizwana, Rocksie, Romila, Rosamond, Rosangela, Rosmely, Rowdie, Rubab, Ruhika, Rumor, Rus, Rutvi
Thoughts, favorites? Let me know!
The name Terra is on my mind this Earth Day. Terra is the Latin word for “earth,” though as a name it’s more commonly a variant of Tara. It can also mean “country.”
Terra first appeared in SSA birth data in the early 1940s, but didn’t become popular until the early 70s. She peaked in 1980, just three years after Tara did. Terra only remained in the top 1000 until 1996, but a decent number still receive the name every year – indeed, 95 girls were named Terra in 2016 (Tara was given to 262). Additionally, 22 boys were named Terran, which is sometimes used in sci-fi as another name for humans (the most recent examples I know of are Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 1 and “Star Trek: Discovery”).
Besides being an alternative to Tara, Terra could be treated as a modern nickname for Teresa. You could also use Terra to honor a Terrence, a Terry, or even an Eartha! It would also be a fun name for the child of someone who works with dirt, i.e, an archaeologist or farmer.
What do you think of Terra?