We’re finally at the end of this series! Over the past year, I’ve compiled alphabetically-organized selections of interesting rare baby names from 2016. Now, we’re not only at letter 26, but we’re imminently expecting the next data release. Tomorrow morning (May 11th), the Social Security Administration releases its data for the most popular baby names of 2017. I’m so excited…are you? 🙂
Here are just some of the rare ‘Z’ names given to babies in the U.S. in 2016:
- 150-218 named: Zoya, Zayla, Zola, Zaya, Zadie, Zahara, Zora, Zella, Zaina
- 100-149: Zia, Ziva, Zinnia, Zuleyka, Zyana, Zayda, Zyla
- 50-99: Zayna, Zelie, Zakiyah, Zipporah, Zarina, Zya, Zamora, Zamiyah, Zhuri, Zoelle, Zaliyah
- 25-49: Zena, Zada, Zamya, Zenobia, Zeynep, Zari, Zoha, Zamaya, Zyra, Zoi, Zulema, Zuria, Zaelynn, Zahira, Zenaida, Zamira, Zoriah, Zahava, Zana, Zuzanna, Zalayah, Zunairah, Zahria, Zaidee, Zina, Zyanya, Zyasia, Zanylah, Zlata, Zuleika
- 10-24: Zenia, Zeva, Ziona, Zowie, Zurisadai, Zamara, Zanna, Zelena, Zulay, Zelia, Zissy, Zoraya, Zakayla, Zareen, Zadaya, Zarielle, Zeenat, Zehra, Zoella, Zaia, Zalia, Zania, Zayana, Zosia, Zanovia, Zo, Zabrina, Zhara, Zillah, Zoila, Zully, Zamyra, Zarai, Zuzu, Zariana, Zenovia, Zetta, Ziara, Zala, Zayanna, Zeriah, Zhane, Zamzam, Zaylani, Zelina, Zita, Zykeria, Zaaliyah, Zelma, Zayleen, Zeeva, Zellie, Zeniya, Zabella, Zafirah, Zanae, Zaneta, Zannah, Zaray, Zariel, Zawadi, Zema, Zera, Zeta, Zimal, Zinachimdi, Zixi, Zylie
- 9: Zea, Zehava, Zineb, Ziomara, Zohar, Zolie, Zona, Zoraida, Zriyah, Zula, Zulma, Zyann, Zyelle, Zylynn
- 8: Zarahi, Zhia, Zniyah, Zoelys, Zorianna, Zsazsa, Zuleimy, Zyva
- 7: Zabdi, Zareth, Zatanna, Zavia, Zeidy, Zephora, Zhoemi, Ziani, Zinaya, Zirwa, Zitlali, Zonnique
- 6: Zamina, Zaveah, Zeda, Zephyra, Zeplyn, Ziqi, Zitong, Zoanna, Zuhur, Zurielle, Zyriana, Zyrie
- 5: Zaelie, Zafiro, Zafreen, Zahida, Zahniyah, Zamiaya, Zanasia, Zariha, Zarlish, Zela, Zelaya, Zelene, Zerelda, Zhaniya, Zhen, Zianne, Zikra, Zing, Zixuan, Zizi, Zlaty, Zoa, Zoeigh, Zorrie, Zumra, Zynae
- 100-186 named: Zahir, Zamir, Zev, Zakai, Zephaniah, Zavion, Zaylen, Zeus, Zephyr, Zabdiel, Zaden, Zakariya
- 50-99: Zyler, Zacharias, Zen, Zeppelin, Zuriel, Zamari, Zade
- 25-49: Zamarion, Zylen, Ziyad, Ziggy, Zidane, Zaki, Zacchaeus, Zaydin, Zayyan, Ziad, Zian, Zedekiah, Zaxton, Zekiel, Zohan, Zeb, Zeno, Zlatan, Zymere
- 10-24: Zahid, Zebulon, Zubair, Zadok, Zamar, Zealand, Zadrian, Zaeem, Zarek, Zebediah, Zeth, Zadkiel, Zalen, Zebulun, Zaryan, Zebadiah, Zohaib, Zorawar, Zephan, Zalman, Zenon, Zoltan, Zoran, Zael, Zaviyar, Zani, Zaniel, Zarian, Zed, Zenith, Zigmund, Zvi, Zyden, Zyheir, Zymeir, Zadiel, Zaim, Zichen, Zyron, Zaccai, Zafir, Zende, Zinedine, Zorian, Zuko, Zyking, Zaquan, Zaylor, Zayon, Zebedee
- 9: Zahran, Zai, Zairus, Zeal, Zeddicus, Zeeshan, Zeon, Zeph, Zihan, Zikora, Zyrell
- 8: Zabriel, Zandon, Zavin, Zebastian, Zeven, Zimri, Zisha, Zyrion
- 7: Zacharius, Zadquiel, Zahi, Zakyrie, Zarif, Zaron, Zaul, Zerek, Zishan, Ziv, Zixuan, Zoraiz, Zoraver, Zubin, Zuhaib
- 6: Zae, Zale, Zam, Zantiago, Zarin, Zarrar, Zay, Zelig, Zevin, Zi, Ziheng, Zyquan
- 5: Zaevon, Zafar, Zahkeem, Zakaiden, Zalan, Zamil, Zaxon, Zaymar, Zayshaun, Zedric, Zephyrus, Zethan, Zihao, Zimo, Zirui, Ziyang, Zoel, Zolton, Zurich
Do you have a favorite rare ‘Z’ name? Let me know! And thank you for following along this series of unusual baby names.
The 2017 baby name data comes out in just two more days (May 11th), so I’m finishing up my series of initial-sorted rare names from 2016! Here is a selection of rare ‘X’ and ‘Y’ names given to babies in the U.S. two years ago, according to extended data from the Social Security Administration. I’ll post the rare ‘Z’ names tomorrow.
- 50-257 named: Xiomara, Xena, Xitlali, Xochitl, Xyla, Xenia
- 10-49: Xaria, Xareni, Xia, Xandria, Xariah, Xylia, Xavia, Xandra, Xaniah, Xin, Xayla, Xiara, Xinyi
- 8-9: Xamira, Xaniyah, Xela, Xiana, Xariyah, Xaviera, Xianna, Xolani, Xyliana
- 5-7: Xea, Xola, Xania, Xanthe, Xarielys, Xaylee, Xochi, Xcaret, Xiaoxi, Xitlalic
- 25-122 named: Xavi, Xaiden, Xavian, Xavion, Xion
- 10-24: Xaiver, Xadrian, Xayvion, Xerxes, Xyler, Xian, Xylan, Xabi, Xachary
- 7-9: Xabier, Xhaiden, Xadiel, Xuan, Xaire
- 5-6: Xylon, Xain, Xamir, Xan, Xavius, Xiang
- 150-205 named: Yaritza, Yesenia, Yazmin, Yara, Yasmine
- 100-149: Yuna, Yaneli, Yusra, Yvonne, Yvette
- 50-99: Yatziri, Yolanda, Yurani, Yasmeen, Yuri, Yana, Yitty, Yamila, Yadira, Yocheved, Yahaira, Yehudis, Yasmina, Yatzil, Yelena, Yaiza, Yuritzi
- 25-49: Yohana, Yanet, Yareni, Yumi, Yelitza, Yides, Yetzali, Yanira, Yui, Yeimy, Yuki, Yashvi, Yaneth, Yuridia, Yashika
- 10-24: Yari, Yeva, Yumna, Yaelis, Yamilex, Yuriana, Yarielis, Yemaya, Yakira, Yanelis, Yesli, Yaira, Yaquelin, Yeshia, Yilia, Yliana, Yoana, Yalena, Yaslin, Yeily, Yulieth, Yuvia, Yani, Yaritzi, Yemariam, Yaileen, Yazaira, Yeilyn, Yuleimy, Yazhini, Yazlynn, Yilin, Yissel, Yuritza, Yutong, Yvaine, Yamina, Yaneisy, Yarexi, Yachet, Yareliz, Yariana, Yeraldin, Ytzel, Yukari
- 9: Yashira, Yasna, Yenifer, Yenty, Yihan, Yordanos
- 8: Yancy, Yanessa, Yatzary, Yaxeni, Yaz, Yena, Yitta, Yixin, Yiyi, Yuhan, Yuktha, Yuval
- 7: Yakelin, Yalexa, Yalina, Yalini, Yamile, Yanai, Yanitza, Yariah, Yasira, Yazleemar, Yeabsira, Yehudit, Yen, Yesha, Yittel, Yoali, Yoltzin, Yoyo, Ysela, Yunalesca, Yuni, Yuriko, Yuxi, Yuxin
- 6: Yafa, Yarden, Yaritzel, Yarlin, Yasina, Yasmely, Yasuri, Yatzari, Yeslin, Yeyetzi, Yiran, Yixuan, Yizel, Yorleny, Younique, Yumiko, Yunxi
- 5: Yaa, Yabsera, Yagmur, Yaheli, Yahvi, Yalda, Yamani, Yardley, Yaribeth, Yarisbeth, Yashi, Yazbeth, Yazlene, Yeilani, Yifei, Ynez, Yodahe, Yoko, Yovana, Ysa, Yubin, Yuka, Yukina, Yukti, Yulani, Yumalay, Yun, Yunuen, Yuvika, Yuzuki
- 100-201 named: Yael, Yadiel, Yaseen, Yitzchok, Yandel, Yasir, Yariel
- 50-99: Yoandri, Yuvan, Yazan, Yash, Yuvraj, Yasser, Yechiel, Yannick, Yohan, Yunus
- 25-49: Yerik, Yug, Yadier, Yahia, Yasiel, Yamir, Yamil, Yuvin, Yan, Yeshaya, Yafet, Yaniel, Yeray, Yossi, Yamen, Yanis, Yareth
- 10-24: Yahshua, Yadriel, Yago, Yeiden, Yanni, Yassine, Yechezkel, Yann, Yanuel, Yaroslav, Yazid, Yates, Yuriel, Yaiden, Yazen, Yaziel, Yishai, Yoni, Yves, Yadir, Yuma, Yurem, Yerachmiel, Yobani, Yaman, Yaxiel, Yichen, Yonael, York, Yacine, Yandriel, Yaron, Yeab, Yeudiel, Yi, Yomar, Yu, Yancarlos, Yerick, Yeriel, Yida, Yifan, Yogi, Yugan, Yuto
- 9: Yasmani, Yaw, Yohanan, Yostin, Yunior, Yuriy
- 8: Yali, Yanky, Yetzael, Yoav, Yojan, Yordi, Yosgart, Yuan, Yuchen, Yuniel, Yunqi, Yusei
- 7: Yabdiel, Yamato, Yedaiah, Yeico, Yian, Yiming, Yochanan, Youhance, Yonason, Yusha
- 6: Yandell, Yaniv, Yashas, Yeiren, Yexian, Yicheng, Yidel, Yinuo, Yoshi, Yosmar, Yuvi, Yuxuan
- 5: Yader, Yahveh, Yale, Yamajesty, Yancey, Yankel, Yao, Yaqeen, Yashwin, Yassiel, Yatniel, Yavier, Ye, Yedidya, Yekusiel, Yeltsin, Yiddy, Yigit, Yishay, Yissachar, Yiyang, Young, Yucheng, Yusufbek, Yusuke, Yuuki, Ywa
Do you have a favorite rare ‘X’ or ‘Y’ name? Let me know!
With the new U.S. baby name data for 2017 coming out on Friday, and considering that relatively few names names start with letters at the end of the alphabet, I’ve combined rare ‘U,’ ‘V,’ and ‘W’ names from 2016 into a single post. Enjoy!
- 25-115 named: Unique, Uma, Una, Unity, Ursula
- 10-24: Ulani, Ulyana, Umaiza, Umaima, Urvi
- 6-8: Ula, Umme, Umu, Urielle, Ursa
- 5: Ualani, Ubah, Umi, Ummehani, Umrah, Urwa
- 25-143 named: Ulysses, Usman, Uzziah, Usher, Urban, Ubaldo, Umair
- 10-24: Uri, Uzziel, Ulrich, Uzair, Urias, Uthman, Umer
- 6-9: Uchenna, Uzay, Uchechukwu, Ugonna, Ugochukwu, Upton, Utah, Uwais
- 5: Udochuwku, Ujwal, Umarbek, Uros
- 100-245 named: Viola, Violette, Vida, Violetta, Valencia
- 50-99: Venus, Vianney, Verity, Vania, Vesper, Vanna
- 25-49: Vale, Vanellope, Valkyrie, Victory, Vianna, Verna, Venice, Vaishnavi, Vega, Vanity, Varnika, Vasilisa, Veera, Vy, Vaani
- 10-24: Vela, Vita, Verona, Vibha, Vilma, Viridiana, Valeska, Vedika, Vasiliki, Verena, Varvara, Vayla, Vung, Varsha, Venna, Vitalia, Vivia, Vivica, Valley, Vanshika, Viha, Vaanya, Vaidehi, Venba, Vidhi, Vika, Vincenza, Via, Videl, Vidalia, Vienne, Vyla, Vara, Verenice, Vina, Vincy, Viona, Viva
- 8-9: Vala, Vashti, Vedha, Vesta, Vidya, Vismaya, Vaelyn, Velvet, Venezia
- 7: Varshini, Vedanshi, Veeksha, Velma, Vesa, Vinisha, Vlada, Vrinda
- 6: Valena, Valeriana, Varenya, Vasilia, Veralynn, Victoire, Victoriana, Vinaya
- 5: Vaibhavi, Vaishvi, Valaysia, Vanille, Vanisha, Varna, Velia, Velouria, Versailles, Veruca, Virsaviya, Vishika, Vishwa, Viviani, Vriti
- 50-178 named: Vladimir, Veer, Vernon, Ved, Vito, Viraj, Valor, Virgil, Valen, Von, Vedant, Vander, Vikram, Vidal
- 25-48: Vedansh, Varun, Virat, Vivan, Valentine, Vansh, Viggo, Vinson, Valente, Vyom, Vishnu, Vladislav, Vasilios, Vinh
- 10-24: Vedh, Vir, Vaibhav, Vadim, Vibhav, Vishwa, Varian, Viren, Vishal, Vallen, Vaden, Vardaan, Vash, Vashawn, Vitaly, Vuk, Vinay, Vinicio, Vivek, Vayden, Vihaanreddy, Vijay, Vishruth, Varick, Vernell, Vinicius, Vishak, Vishan, Volvi, Vrishank
- 9: Victorious, Vidyut, Vikrant, Virlan, Vontrell
- 7-8: Vinton, Vahe, Vasco, Ventura, Victoriano, Vidur, Vishakan, Voss, Vraj
- 6: Valdemar, Valencio, Valiant, Venancio, Ventus, Victorino, Viet, Vinayak, Vishanth, Vishva, Vitus, Vontae
- 5: Valerio, Valik, Valon, Vanden, Varad, Varek, Varin, Vedder, Vegas, Vegeta, Vigo, Virgilio, Vishraan, Vishrut
- 100-250 named: Whitley, Winnie, Waverly, Winifred, Wilhelmina
- 25-99: Winona, Wednesday, Weslyn, Winry, Wisdom, Wynne, Windsor, Wanda, Winslow
- 10-24: Westlyn, Wilma, Wania, Waylynn, Wateen, Winslet, Warda, Wrenna
- 7-9: Wrenlee, Wajiha, Wallis, Wakely, Willoughby
- 5-6: Wafaa, Windy, Winterrose, Wedad, Whisper, Wilmary, Wimberly, Winta, Wynonna, Wyoming
- 100-196 named: Wallace, Wiley, Wells, Watson, Wolfgang, Wilmer
- 50-99: Wendell, Warner, Woodrow, Witten, West, Willem, Willis, Wolf, Wali, Wilfredo, Wynn
- 25-49: Ward, Whitaker, Willard, Weldon, Wayland, Walden, Wilbert, Whitman, Williams, Wilber, Welles, Wellington, Wilfred, Waseem, Walt, Wolfe, Wrigley, Walton, Whit, Walid
- 10-24: Wilbur, Wilhelm, Wyland, Waris, Wesam, Willian, Woodson, Wheeler, Whitten, Wael, Winner, Webb, Wake, Wilton, Woods, Wrangler, Wilkes, Webster, Wassim, Werner, Wright, Wyeth, Warrick, Witt, Worth, Wagner, Washington, Weiland, Winfield
- 9: Wacey, Waldo, Whitton, Winchester, Winson, Wyman
- 7-8: Warrior, Wilford, Wakiyan, Warwick, Whitson, Wills, Win, Wulfric, Wynton
- 6: Wahid, Wardell, Warden, Wayden, Whitfield, Wilkin, Wilman, Wrennyn
- 5: Wahab, Wais, Waldemar, Warsame, Wasi, Weber, Whalen, Whelan, Wilberth, Wilco, Wilfrido, Winthrop, Woodley, Wystan
Do you have a favorite rare name that starts with one of these letters? Let me know!
Here’s a list of rare ‘T’ names given to American babies in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration (which is going to release the 2017 data in a few days. Yay!). These aren’t all the unusual names starting with this letter…just the highlights.
- 200-262 babies named: Treasure, Temperance, Taya, Tamia, Taryn, Tess
- 100-199: Tia, Tesla, Tallulah, Tamara, Taraji, Tala, Tina, Tayla, Tiara, Theodora, Tanvi, Trisha
- 50-99: Taniyah, Terra, Tanya, Tracy, Tamar, Tilly, Therese, Taylynn, Taylee, Timber, Tova, Taleen, Tammy, Tierney, Tyra, Tirzah, Tyanna, Tasneem
- 25-49: Tahiry, Tyla, Tanisha, Truly, Talayah, Talitha, Tylee, Tariah, Tzipora, Tyasia, Tennyson, Tali, Tanishka, Tauriel, Thelma, Tavia, Tula, Tasia, Trista, Tehila, Twyla, Tahani, Talaysia, Tensley, Tigerlily, Topanga
- 10-24: Tempest, Tennessee, Trina, Trudy, Twila, Tamsin, Tzivia, Tahira, Tasha, Thora, Toriana, Tamryn, Taina, Taisley, Tessie, Timberly, Tamari, Thania, Troi, Tsion, Tylia, Takiyah, Teal, Tisha, Tiwatope, Toba, Tuesday, Tenaya, Terriana, Thais, Tomi, Torah, Trany, Tamira, Tressa, Triana, Tulsi, Tvisha, Tzirel, Taliana, Talina, Tanishi, Taraoluwa, Trixie, Takayla, Tanyla, Thaily, Tilda, Tonia, Trishika, Tytiana, Takara, Tashi, Tasmia, Teresita, Traniyah, Talani, Taline, Tam, Tayanna, Temple, Tiare, Tailor, Tanvika, Tashvi, Tavi, Tawny, Teniola, Tilia, Tove, Tris, Tuleen, Tzippy
- 8-9: Temiloluwa, Thessaly, Tiaraoluwa, Talisa, Talley, Tasfia, Theory, Tien, Tirenioluwa, Tulip, Tyrianna, Tzivy
- 7: Talita, Tamila, Tansy, Testimony, Thailyn, Tifa, Torunn, Treva
- 6: Tacori, Tahreem, Taimane, Tanzila, Taralynn, Tasnia, Tatelyn, Tejasvi, Tesslyn, Teva, Texas, Theodosia, Thisbe, Tikva, Tomorrow, Tonantzin, Topaz, Tristine
- 5: Tabea, Tacy, Tahiya, Tahmina, Taiba, Talar, Talayla, Talianna, Tarini, Tasi, Tauri, Taylani, Teela, Temidayo, Tena, Tequila, Tessley, Teuila, Tha, Timea, Timiyah, Tionne, Tisa, Tiwaloluwa, Tola, Toluwanimi, Torilynn, Treya, Trillium, Trinley, Trish, Troian, Tryphena, Tulia, Twisha, Tykera, Tyndall, Tyria
- 150-201 babies named: Tyrone, Tyree, Truman, Todd, Taj, Tyrell, Tayden, Torin
- 100-149: Thorin, Tevin, Truett, Tzvi, Tariq, Tobin, Tyrese, Trevon, Tylan
- 50-99: Tiberius, Thor, Tenzin, Taylen, Triton, Tyce, Theron, Townes, Taha, Tyshawn, Tyrus, Trayvon, Tremaine, Tamir, Tyrion, Tamim, Tylen, Tavin, Thane, Thompson, Timur, Truth
- 25-49: Theophilus, Tory, Teague, Thang, Torrance, True, Tayer, Takoda, Tafari, Tobiah, Theseus, Tiernan, Tillman, Tj, Trapper, Torian, Taym, Torrence, Tuff, Tayson, Tyquan, Tevita, Talmage, Tayton, Tadhg, Tilden, Tavian, Tiger, Talal, Tavaris, Tyjuan
- 10-24: Tanush, Taysom, Thien, Torsten, Taggart, Trigg, Taft, Treshawn, Tuck, Theoden, Tracen, Trinidad, Tavin, Thelonious, Tito, Townsend, Trigger, Thurman, Trust, Tycho, Takumi, Takai, Taurean, Thierry, Trustin, Tyreke, Taavi, Taevon, Thurston, Tilak, Tipton, Tully, Tahmid, Taz, Tor, Tadashi, Takeo, Teller, Thai, Toa, Tri, Tassen, Thaxton, Thorten, Toussaint, Trajan, Trip, Trygve, Tal, Taurus, Tino, Tobenna, Torben, Turki, Tavarius, Thackery, Thornton, Thunder, Tulio
- 9: Tanvir, Teancum, Teoman, Terrin, Tex, Thailand, Thierno, Thorn, Timo, Tlaloc, Tobechukwu, Tobiloba, Torres, Tresor
- 8: Tahmeed, Taiwan, Takashi, Taksh, Taquan, Tavis, Tekoa, Temitayo, Thanos, Tonatiuh, Toretto, Tramel, Tripton, Tuvia, Tyga, Tyjae, Tyrael
- 7: Tae, Tajae, Takeshi, Tallis, Talmadge, Taniela, Tanis, Taos, Tavius, Teion, Temesgen, Temujin, Terez, Tharun, Thijs, Tolliver, Tonio, Topher, Toprak, Tracer, Trell, Trew, Trillion, Triumph, Trooper, Trowa, Turan, Tymarion, Tyray
- 6: Taahir, Tadeas, Taiki, Taino, Taio, Tajuan, Takeru, Taliesin, Tamarius, Tamem, Tank, Tannen, Tanveer, Tarak, Taras, Taskin, Taves, Tavita, Tavoris, Tawfiq, Tazio, Teak, Tejus, Telly, Telvin, Temitope, Temuge, Teofilo, Thales, Thanh, Theoren, Thorne, Tiam, Tikon, Timaeus, Timileyin, Timon, Timothee, Tin, Tomoya, Toriano, Toribio, Toshiro, Traeger, Trebor, Trek, Tron, Truce, Truxton, Tydarius, Tyke, Tyking, Tyrome, Tzion
- 5: Taaraz, Tabious, Tag, Taiwo, Tajai, Takahiro, Tamatoa, Tanuj, Taraj, Taro, Tarrant, Tejveer, Tengis, Thabit, Theodis, Thom, Thurmond, Tiberias, Tiller, Tinsae, Tirth, Tobijah, Tochi, Tod, Toluwani, Tomo, Torstein, Tosh, Toviyah, Tracker, Trafton, Trance, Trennon, Trevino, Trexton, Treylin, Treysen, Trice, Trindon, Tyland, Tywin
Do you have a favorite rare ‘T’ name? Let me know!
Here are some rare ‘S’ names that were given to boys in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration. Earlier today, I posted about one of the names included in this list – Severus – because I’ve never seen him anywhere near as common as 32 boys in one year! To be fair, that’s still considered very rare.
- 150-199: Simeon, Sidney, Semaj, Slade, Stone, Shlomo, Sami, Smith, Syed
- 100-149: Salem, Salman, Steele, Sheldon, Siddharth, Saint
- 50-99: Sire, Sultan, Savion, Seven, Shamar, Storm, Shaurya, Stryker, Saif, Shiv, Samarth, Shaya, Stellan, Sulaiman, Saleh, Shlok, Shia, Sahil, Samar, Sylvester, Shayan, Selim, Stiles, Stockton, Stuart, Shivansh, Simcha, Slater, Shaquille, Sahir, Shulem, Steel, Sagan, Sampson, Shai, Sir
- 25-49: Shamir, Surya, Sai, Saxon, Sherman, Sanjay, Stratton, Sutter, Shakur, Slate, Srihan, Stanton, Subhan, Sylvan, Shmiel, Summit, Safwan, Seeley, Shelton, Saud, Sirius, Sriyan, Sachin, Saharsh, Shreyan, Scotty, Soham, Sven, Shaw, Stryder, Sudais, Sahib, Severus, Shloimy, Stewart, Sabir, Shraga, Shreyansh, Sander, Selvin, Shivam, Saxton, Servando, Sharif, Silvio, Sanad, Satvik, Shan, Saw, Shaul, Styles, Sadiq, Sandro, Schuyler, Siddhartha, Sriram
- 10-24: Sajid, Sekou, Shayden, Sanders, Saulo, Savon, Sharbel, Slayton, Saketh, Santo, Sparsh, Stirling, Sully, Santonio, Strider, Supreme, Stark, Saverio, Shakir, Sixto, Sufyan, Sahaj, Sal, Santi, Sebastiano, Serafin, Serge, Sharvil, Shaunak, Sherrod, Sherwin, Shneur, Sid, Stavros, Sabian, Samael, Savino, Savior, Schneider, Shad, Skanda, Sayer, Shade, Sheikh, Silvano, Srithik, Sanford, Shedrick, Shiva, Snyder, Sohail, Stevenson, Saber, Sanjeev, Sharmarke, Shimshon, Shine, Sinclair, Sriyansh, Stafford, Stanford, Stanislav, Sabino, Sadler, Sanav, Sandor, Sanjith, Severiano, Shahid, Shaka, Shant, Shaquan, Shooter, Subham, Simba, Sneyder, Samwise, Sanchez, Sang, Sarkis, Severin, Shah, Shray, Sigmund, Sumner, Sun, Szymon
- 9: Sabdiel, Samanyu, Samhith, Schneur, Sekai, Serigne, Seymour, Shadrach, Sherwood, Sho, Shuaib, Skip, Soma, Sovereign, Stokely, Swade
- 8: Sabien, Safeer, Sajjad, Samridh, Santiel, Sartaj, Saurav, Sava, Savage, Scot, Seraj, Sergei, Severo, Seydou, Shahir, Shandon, Shemuel, Shep, Sherlock, Shivin, Shota, Silvan, Skyden, Sneijder, Solon, Spiro, Srikar, Staten, Stedman, Stihl, Striker
- 7: Salahuddin, Samyog, Saugat, Schafer, Selassie, Shabazz, Shalev, Shahin, Shashank, Shenouda, Siaosi, Siddiq, Silvino, Sladen, Smaran, Sony, Srihaas, Sriman, Strickland
- 6: Sadrac, Sagar, Sahishnu, Saiansh, Salam, Samatar, Samuela, Samwell, Saquan, Savoy, Sayyid, Seaton, Seger, Selwyn, Sender, Shankar, Shavar, Shazil, Shervin, Shivay, Shohjahon, Shomari, Siddh, Sigurd, Sirach, Siranthony, Sirking, Sly, Smokey, Sosuke, Sotero, Srihith, Srijan, Srikrishna, Sruly, Stallone, Statham, Stevens, Sundiata
- 5: Safwat, Sakariye, Salinger, San, Satchel, Sathwik, Satoshi, Satyam, Savant, Say, Seanix, Serafim, Severyn, Shady, Shaker, Shaydon, Sheng, Shresht, Shyheim, Siddhanth, Siegfried, Sigifredo, Sircharles, Sirwilliam, Slevin, Solaris, Solo, Srihari, Sriniketh, Srinivas, Stalin, Stanlee, Statler, Stelios, Suyog, Syd
Do you have a favorite name on this list? Let me know! And if you haven’t already seen the list of rare ‘S’ names for girls, here it is.
2017 baby name data for the U.S. is supposed to be released around May 11th, so we are in the homestretch! In the meantime, let’s finish up the 2016 alphabet.
Here are some rare ‘S’ names that were given to baby girls in the U.S. in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration.
- 200-259 girls named: Sonia, Samiyah, Samira, Shanaya, Shea, Sarahi, Scout, Sherlyn, Sanaa, Sally, Seraphina, Sunny, Saanvi, Stacy, Selene
- 150-199: Soraya, Shannon, Saniya, Susanna, Salem, Skylynn, Shirley, Sapphire
- 100-149: Shreya, Soleil, Symphony, Suri, Sarina, Shania, Sia, Shaylee, Stormy, Salome, Sahana, Skylee, Sheila, Shyla, Shayna, Sumaya, Sabina, Sybil, Safa, Sahara, Shoshana
- 50-99: Sahasra, Selma, Susannah, Sol, Star, Shira, Safiya, Sandy, Sevyn, Sama, Sabella, Sinai, Serene, Sabine, Shaindy, Swara, Simran, Story, Suzanne, Sedona, Sparrow, Saya, Seren, Sequoia, Syeda, Sakura, Samaria, Simona, Sahar, Scotlyn, Sirena, Snow, Starr, Scottie, Siobhan, Sayuri, Sherry, Sapphira, Silvana, Silver, Sunshine
- 25-49: Sade, Stefania, Sora, Swayze, Sena, Siham, Sima, Shivani, Sidra, Solana, Soliana, Shanelle, Sonora, Shawna, Svea, Scotland, Sephora, Seraphine, Shifra, Suzette, Saray, Starla, Sanya, Saori, Shelly, Sheridan, Sicily, Shanti, Solara, Saba, Shekinah, Sunday, Saja, Seneca, Salwa, Seerat, Solange, Suhana, Sanjana, Sarayu, Solene, Saffron, Sheryl, Sitara, Sakina, Savvy, Setareh, Starlene, Sunni, Sayla, Shamya, Suhani, Saskia, Shahd, Shakira, Shanice, Soledad, Sona, Srinika, Suhayla, Samanvi, Sansa, Seanna, Senna, Sheena, Shree, Soha, Sriya, Stephania
- 10-24: Shaindel, Shanya, Siri, Sabreen, Sloka, Sonali, Sundus, Safiyyah, Sari, September, Shahad, Shailene, Sila, Solveig, Sable, Samina, Sanari, Signe, Sehaj, Svetlana, Sibyl, Solomia, Sonam, Spirit, Sejal, Sneha, Srishti, Saleena, Sameeha, Sarabi, Saveah, Savi, Siddhi, Syrena, Sabiha, Sachi, Saliha, Sarabeth, Sarita, Sham, Shani, Sreshta, Starlynn, Sukhmani, Sabria, Safari, Saloma, Sanika, Sanyla, Sargun, Shakayla, Sigrid, Simi, Simra, Spring, Sylvana, Sakari, Samreen, Sanvika, Shirin, Sokhna, Sophina, Suki, Sunjai, Samhita, Santina, Satya, Secret, Shadia, Shireen, Shivanya, Shulamis, Shylee, Smriti, Sole, Sritha, Saddie, Sagal, Samreet, Sativa, Sefora, Seraphim, Setayesh, Shalaya, Sharanya, Shruthi, Solimar, Sophiana, Srinidhi, Staley, Starlet, Sue, Sui, Sukaina, Sabirin, Sadhana, Sahily, Samyukta, Saralynn, Selenia, Shaddai, Shailey, Shamara, Shambhavi, Shanty, Sharla, Shatha, Shawnee, Shukri, Sian, Sicilia, Siddalee, Stacia, Sybella, Sadaf, Safreen, Samanvitha, Santa, Satori, Sebastiana, Shakti, Shiori, Shraddha, Sistine, Sonoma, Soruha, Stuti, Suhavi, Sultana, Surveen
- 9: Saga, Sahari, Sakshi, Samriddhi, Samus, Satcha, Sayesha, Seema, Senora, Severine, Shari, Sita, Solomiya, Sonnet, Sophiah, Sorcha, Sunniva, Sydelle, Syrah, Syria
- 8: Sabriel, Sacred, Sadeen, Safiatou, Sahalie, Sahiba, Salice, Samika, Samsara, Sarem, Sarika, Saudia, Serafima, Shadow, Shamsa, Shasta, Shiny, Shreeja, Sibley, Simrat, Sinclaire, Smera, Solace, Sonika, Steely, Stellaluna, Summerlyn, Sunset
- 7: Sahithi, Salsabeel, Samrawit, Sathvika, Shalini, Shanae, Shanley, Shirleyann, Shterna, Shy, Sibella, Silje, Sinead, Siren, Sisira, Snighda, Sochikaima, Sondra, Sophira, Sophronia, Sosefina, Success, Sucely, Sujey, Summerrose, Sundae, Sunflower, Sylvanas, Sylvania
- 6: Sabra, Sahory, Sajdah, Samadhi, Sandrine, Sarabelle, Sarang, Saturn, Sawda, Senovia, Seraph, Shahana, Shahrazad, Shaivi, Shakia, Sharifa, Sheikha, Shiqi, Shiri, Shivanshi, Shoni, Sifan, Silva, Similoluwa, Simisola, Sisley, Sitora, Skyland, Socorro, Sojourner, Somtochukwu, Sonakshi, Sorelle, Southern, Sparkle, Srihitha, Stavroula, Stellar, Sula, Sumer, Supriya, Svara, Sway
- 5: Sadeem, Safana, Safura, Saki, Sakthi, Salimata, Salimatou, Samanda, Samuelle, Sandara, Sanskriti, Santiana, Sarani, Sareth, Sayumi, Seena, Sehajpreet, Selen, Seynabou, Shahina, Shahzoda, Shamila, Shamim, Shannara, Shantae, Shanvitha, Sheba, Shehrbano, Sherezade, Shiphrah, Shona, Shrita, Sidonie, Sincerity, Snowy, Solstice, Sookie, Sophonie, Soteria, Sravya, Srikruthi, Stana, Starling, Stellina, Sudiksha, Sueann, Suetta, Sulamita, Sulma, Sundari, Swecha, Sweden
Thoughts? Do you have a favorite rare ‘S’ names for girls? Let me know!
Time for another rare-name round-up! Every month, I publish a list of unusual names I spotted in and around my community over the past 30 days or so. Usually I do this on the last night of the month, but yesterday was busy. Errands, another blog post I needed to finish, Avengers: Infinity War…you get the picture. By the way, happy May!
Here are the most interesting local names I spotted in April:
- Draper – an uncommon occupational name that was briefly trendy in the late 1970s and peaked in 1980. 13 boys were named Draper in 2016, the most since 1982.
- Roby (m, deceased) – 5 boys in 2016. Roby is a surname that can also be a nickname for Robert.
- Nielson (m) – Nielson doesn’t appear in SSA birth data, but Nielsen did once (in 1991). Nielsen is a surname that means “son of Niels,” Niels being a Danish form of Nicholas.
- Legend (m) – what makes this so interesting to me is that this person is likely an adult. Legend is a popular, very trendy baby name that ranked #311 in 2016 (impressive, since it only entered the top 1000 in 2010). It first appeared in Social Security Administration birth data in 1993.
- Veronique – French form of Veronica. 8 girls were named Veronique in 2016, while Veronica ranked #413 out of 1000.
- Judge – a curious occupational name which hasn’t been in the top 1000 since the 1930s, but has appeared in SSA birth data for every year since 1880. The most famous bearer is probably actor Judge Reinhold, though in his case it’s just a nickname. 30 boys were named Judge in 2016, the most since 1954. I think with the popularity of Justice, Judge could make a comeback.
- Reeves (m, toddler) – another rare surname baby name that’s slowly becoming more common. 25 boys were named Reeves in 2016.
- Sterett (m, preteen)
- Avila – Avila probably refers to St. Teresa of Ávila. 37 girls were named Avila in 2016.
- Haywood (m) – 10 boys in 2016.
- Dulaney (m) – Dulaney has only appeared in SSA birth data as a girls’ name, probably as an alternative to Delaney.
- Burkley (m, deceased) – Burkley, a variant of Berkeley, first appeared in SSA birth data in 2001, and has been given to both boys and girls since then. This Burkley was much older, though.
- Rosebud – potentially born after Citizen Kane, but likely beforehand. Rosebud was most popular in the 20s.
- Meriwether (f, young adult) – Meriwether first appeared in SSA data in 2009 as a girls’ name, but anyone who remembers their U.S. history lessons will recall that the Lewis of Lewis and Clark was named Meriwether. 6 girls were named Meriwether in 2016.
What do you think of these names? Have you spotted any interesting names in your community over the last month? Let me know!
Earlier rare name round-ups in 2018:
Yesterday I posted a selection of rare ‘R’ names for girls, so here are some rare ‘R’ names for boys! As usual, these numbers come from the Social Security Administration‘s baby name data-set for 2016. We find out the 2017 data in just a few more weeks.
- 150-202 boys named: Roderick, Rodolfo, Ross, Randall, Rashad, Ruger, Raheem, Rian, Ramsey
- 100-149: Reynaldo, Rome, Rishi, Rowdy, Ronaldo, Ramses, Rico, Rigoberto, Ren, Ryden, Ransom
- 50-99: Rockwell, Rogan, Rishaan, Renzo, Rafe, Roan, Rudra, Rivers, Rami, Raymundo, Ryu, Rehan, Radley, Ranger, Riot, Rush, Revan, Riggs, Roscoe, Raylon, Rhodes, Reggie, Raziel, Ryne, Reef, Reyes, Romello, Raghav, Rashawn, Roosevelt, Rakan, Robinson, Rashid, Rayshawn, Riddick, Riggins, Ravi, Reeve
- 25-49: Rasheed, Rustin, Rayland, Riyansh, Rider, Riyaan, Rye, Ranveer, Rainer, Rhydian, Roshan, Ram, Rashard, Renato, Rakeem, Rusty, Ragnar, Renner, Rhythm, Rexton, Randolph, Roque, Rufus, Ramir, Rigel, Redding, Ridwan, Rudolph, Ryett, Rajveer, Rishik, Rainier, Rock, Rook, Renly, Reza, Raider, Rondell, Rigo, Rishabh, Reno, Robel, Roczen, Reeves, Romero
- 10-24: Ramone, Richmond, Rigby, Rorik, Rahman, Raj, Rocket, Rosendo, Redmond, Ruhan, Ramel, Ramzi, Rand, Riggin, Rudransh, Rajon, Rommel, Roper, Ruslan, Race, Raudel, Remus, Rowland, Rune, Ruthvik, Rutledge, Rajan, Raynor, Ronav, Rich, Riku, Rishab, Rithik, Ritter, Roark, Ruston, Rahsaan, Rahul, Rawley, Rocko, Rollin, Ryo, Ramadan, Ripken, Rohit, Rourke, Rowe, Rubens, Rupert, Revere, Richardson, Rockford, Romario, Ruvim, Ruxin, Raja, Reddington, Regis, Reuel, Rhone, Romulo, Ralston, Rance, Redford, Revel, Rishav, Rodriguez, Rosalio, Rucker, Rayquan, Rigdon, Righteous, Roarke, Robben, Rod, Rafferty, Rally, Rambo, Redd, Remo, Renan, Rexford, Reznor, Rollie, Royston, Ruairi
- 9: Radek, Raekwon, Rawlings, Red, Rein, Reiner, Renton, Reo, Rigley, Rohin, Rollo
- 8: Radford, Rameses, Rankin, Rayniel, Refugio, Regal, Renji, Revansh, Reynold, Rockland, Romulus, Rufino, Russ, Rustam, Rutherford
- 7: Ra, Rafiq, Rahm, Raistlin, Ramari, Ramsay, Ranson, Rawson, Reade, Regino, Reston, Ridha, Riordan, Rizzo, Rogers, Rollins, Ronal, Rudolf, Rushton
- 6: Racer, Rad, Rage, Ralpheal, Range, Raquan, Rawling, Raxton, Rehansh, Reiss, Remigio, Reus, Richter, Rigsby, Riser, Rixton, Rohith, Romaine, Ruichen, Rutger
- 5: Radeen, Rafat, Rainn, Raizo, Raji, Rawlins, Raza, Redden, Rem, Remiel, Rennen, Rennick, Renzel, Rhody, Ridgely, Ridger, Ringo, Rishank, Rito, Robson, Roby, Rogerick, Roko, Romualdo, Roston, Rowley, Ruaridh, Ruddy, Ruzgar, Ryota, Ryse
Do you have a favorite rare ‘R’ name for boys? Let me know!
But of course I’d hit the ‘R’ names in time for the Royal Baby! Though, said baby is a little prince, not a princess.
Anyways, here is a selection of rare ‘R’ names given to American girls in 2016, according to data from the Social Security Administration. I’ll post the boys’ names later.
- 200-257 girls named: Renee, Raylee, Rilynn, Robin, Raya, Regan, Rita
- 150-199: Rae, Roxanne, Rihanna, Raleigh, Rosalind, Renesmee
- 100-149: Rhiannon, Rosalina, Rosalia, Ripley, Rosemarie, Rochel, Ria, Roxana, Rosalinda, Reem, Raniyah, Rebel
- 50-99: Rahma, Rain, Rania, Raizy, Rivky, Romy, Ridley, Randi, Rosario, Rocio, Rosabella, Rina, Royale, Ruhi, Rikki, Razan, Rana, Roberta, Rainey, Roxy, Rosanna, Rhoda
- 25-49: Raizel, Rochelle, Rahaf, Rosella, Rafaela, Rawan, Rogue, Roma, Roya, Rayla, Reginae, Rhema, Rosetta, Rosaline, Remedy, Rooney, Rayanna, Radha, Railey, Riva, Rue, Ryanna, Rida, Ramiyah, Rinoa, Rosabelle, Rielle, Runa, Ruthann, Roni, Rona, Ruqayyah, Rut, Rei, Rima, Roisin, Rosita, Rumi, Rani
- 10-24: Raziya, Renley, Rhonda, Risa, Rainy, Raghad, Reba, Ridhi, Rishika, Ruchy, Rama, Raneem, Ravenna, Richelle, Rosina, Reighlynn, Radhika, Raeann, Raphaela, Rowena, Rabia, Retal, Rossi, Rumaisa, Rayelle, Reverie, Roseanne, Ruweyda, Ryelle, Rynlee, Romelia, Roux, Rushika, Rainbow, Reham, Renna, Retaj, Rin, Ritika, Roshni, Ruhama, Ruhani, Raissa, Rasha, Rayhana, Reata, Risha, Riyanshi, Roniya, Ruah, Raahi, Ramla, Rosaria, Ruchel, Reine, Renad, Rithika, Rosaura, Rukia, Rinnah, Roe, Rosamaria, Rutila, Raelani, Rakeb, Ramata, Ramey, Rayleen, Reigna, Rejoice, Rola, Romani, Rosalba, Ruba, Ruthanna
- 9: Rafeef, Rahel, Ramia, Rasika, Rateel, Rehmat, Rella, Remas, Remini, Ridhima, Riverly, Riverlyn, Rokia, Ronja
- 8: Rahab, Rahf, Rahima, Rarity, Reha, Rilla, Rim, Ritisha, Riyaq, Rodina, Roksana, Rosalva, Rosamund, Rosary, Roselani, Rubina, Ruchama, Rufina
- 7: Raksha, Ramani, Ravina, Remilynn, Reminisce, Rianshi, Richa, Richlynn, Rinka, Rocklyn, Roha, Roiza, Romilly, Rosse, Rubani, Rumer, Rushda, Ruthvika
- 6: Raaga, Rabab, Radiance, Radiya, Rajvi, Ralayah, Raliyah, Ramatoulaye, Randa, Raneen, Ravya, Rawa, Rawda, Rechy, Rehana, Reika, Reiko, Retta, Rhapsody, Rika, Riko, Ritanya, Romana, Ronda, Rosabel, Rosalita, Rosha, Russia
- 5: Rada, Ran, Ranessa, Rashi, Ravneet, Reality, Ree, Reilani, Rekik, Renita, Reyanshi, Riata, Ridha, Rilley, Rinna, Rithvika, Ritvi, Riyansika, Rizwana, Rocksie, Romila, Rosamond, Rosangela, Rosmely, Rowdie, Rubab, Ruhika, Rumor, Rus, Rutvi
Thoughts, favorites? Let me know!
Mind your P’s and Q’s – I’ve combined these two letters into a single post! ‘Q’ is an extremely rare initial for baby names, but ‘P’ isn’t exactly the most common letter, either. As we near the end of the alphabet, I’ll continue juxtaposing some of the rarest letters together in lists. Plus, the new 2017 data arrives soon; I’d rather not post 2016 numbers after that.
Here is a selection of rare ‘P’ and ‘Q’ names from 2016, according to information from the Social Security Administration.
- 100-241 named: Palmer, Promise, Patience, Persephone, Pamela, Prisha, Priya, Petra, Pepper, Precious, Pia, Pippa
- 50-99: Philomena, Prudence, Paulette, Philippa, Polina, Pauline, Primrose, Polly
- 25-49: Pandora, Passion, Pilar, Praise, Pari, Posey, Paradise, Pessy, Parnika, Phaedra, Portia, Paw, Perel, Priyanka
- 10-24: Parisa, Pranavi, Pacey, Persia, Phyllis, Page, Patrice, Penina, Prim, Peggy, Paz, Pihu, Paislyn, Purity, Padme, Patsy, Prairie, Prisca, Pola, Porsha, Pailynn, Pearla, Petrona, Pragya, Pietra, Providence, Pascale, Pax, Pema, Prakrita, Pranisha, Preslyn, Priyal, Palyn, Pessel, Poetry, Posy, Prachi, Pranika, Priyana
- 9: Paije, Parthenia, Penda, Pixie, Poet, Polette, Prapti, Prathana, Preesha
- 8: Perpetua, Pollyanna, Pooja, Prabhnoor, Prajna
- 7: Panagiota, Patty, Pelia, Pemberley, Peony, Persis, Portland, Pragathi, Pragnya, Pranathi, Pranaya, Pranshi, Pretty, Prima
- 6: Pallas, Pallavi, Parneet, Pasleigh, Penley, Pessi, Pipper, Pippi, Pragna, Preksha, Prosperity, Purvi
- 5: Padma, Paij, Palin, Palmira, Paolina, Par, Pareesa, Parizoda, Pearline, Pennylane, Peshy, Petal, Pocahontas, Poleth, Poorvi, Pranita, Praylee, Preema, Prisma, Pristine, Pritika, Pualani
- 100-172 named: Pierre, Pierson, Phineas, Pranav, Pharaoh, Perry
- 50-99: Patricio, Paris, Patton, Penn, Perseus, Paolo, Price, Pearson
- 25-49: Percy, Parth, Perrin, Pavel, Parks, Pietro, Pace, Pascal, Prescott, Pearce, Pinchas, Padraig, Parsa, Paden, Pascual, Poseidon, Phinehas
- 10-24: Panagiotis, Parrish, Pasquale, Paulino, Prayan, Peace, Pinchos, Praneel, Prosper, Parish, Porfirio, Pranay, Pratham, Prithvi, Param, Peregrine, Philemon, Peretz, Philippe, Payne, Pharrell, Philopateer, Pryor, Prem, Papa, Percival, Piero, Platon, Pratik, Pate, Peniel, Philo, Polo, Powell, Priyan, Prophet, Parthiv, Pasha, Pranish, Prentice, Prish
- 9: Park, Philopater, Pike, Pranesh, Pratyush, Prayag, Preet, Priyansh, Ptolemy
- 8: Parv, Pernell, Phong, Pj, Priam, Priest, Primo, Psalm
- 7: Paco, Parson, Patriot, Paulson, Perez, Pesach, Petros, Piers, Pilot, Portland, Prajwal, Pranshu, Premier, Pride, Princedavid
- 6: Palash, Pape, Parx, Patterson, Pavan, Phelan, Pinny, Pio, Piyush, Prabhjot, Prajit, Pranith, Prashant, Prathik, Pravin
- 5: Panth, Parnell, Partha, Peleg, Pendleton, Phanuel, Pippin, Pius, Pol, Potter, Power, Poyraz, Prabhav, Pradyun, Prasoon, Praxton, Prime, Pruitt, Psalms, Purav
- 10-197 named: Queen, Quinley, Queenie, Queena, Quetzaly, Quinnlyn, Quorra
- 5-9: Qiana, Quynh, Qadira, Qirat, Quiana, Quyen
- 25-182 named: Quintin, Quinlan, Quaid, Quran, Qasim, Quest, Quintus
- 10-24: Quill, Quan, Quillan, Qadir, Quamir, Quavion, Quintavious, Quint, Quintrell
- 6-9: Qusay, Quindarius, Qays, Quintel, Qumari, Quantavious, Quavon
- 5: Qi, Quang, Quantae, Quetzal, Quigley, Quince, Quinston
Thoughts? Favorites? Let me know!
On a personal note: ‘P’ is my second-favorite initial for baby names after ‘H.’ I especially adore Philippa, Perpetua, Percival, and Peregrine! I get a kick out of ‘Q’ names too, just because they *are* so unusual. From that letter, my favorite rarities are Queenie, Qadira, Quintus, and Quetzal.